Chapter Ten

"New Years Eve, thirty degrees outside, and you're wearing a dress like that," Matteo states, adjusting his bowtie. His custom-tailored tuxedo is classic black and white attire, formalwear for the soiree we've been invited to by Matteo's producer.

"You don't like it?"

The pale pink gown is silk, soft to the touch. My hands glide over the material, appreciating the Marilyn vibes I get in it. With the faux fur coat, the outfit will be complete. Matteo's objection might be because the dress dips down, baring my back to the hips.

"It's impossible not to like it, as I'm sure every man in attendance will also agree."

I roll my eyes at his presumption, grabbing my coat. "You're ridiculous."

"Usually. In this I'm not."

He walks up to me, and I must tilt my head to meet his eyes.

"Are you going to tell me to take it off?" I ask him, testily.

There's a mischievous gleam in his eyes. "I wouldn't dare."

"Smart man."

"I have my moments."

He drags a hand through his dark hair, styled back for the elegant occasion. I'm temporarily stunned.

"You are hot," I admit, checking him out unabashedly. He plants his mouth onto mine, making me fall back a step. I'm smiling when he pulls back, having run his hands over the silk.

"Why don't we just stay here? I could make staying home worth it," he offers, urging me closer. I chuckle, shaking my head.

"Oh no, we're going out. This is my first New Year's with you."

"We'll have many of them."

"Yeah, but none like tonight," I reply. He rolls his eyes and nods, reaching down to clasp my hand.

"Alright, then let's get going or we'll be in the taxi when it's midnight."

***

"Matteo!"

Doug Ferman darts around the crowd of people, weaving his way through the bulk of the party guests inhabiting his penthouse, an abode that takes up a good chunk of Manhattan. A large showy grin is plastered on his face as he reaches the entrance where we are taking off our winter coats. He tugs on Matteo's hand exuberantly. "Jesus, man! You never show up to these things! This is great!"

"Thank you for having us, Doug," Matteo replies politely, laying a hand on my back. "This is Emma Simone."

Doug leans in, pecking a chaste kiss to my cheek. "Emma, it's nice to meet you. That is definitely some dress. I mean, wow."

"Thank you." I smile, feeling pretty good. Matteo doesn't seem to take the same joy as I do from the compliment. Doug must feel his wrath coming because he quickly changes the subject, encouraging us to follow him.

"Come on! While you're here, let me introduce you to some people!"

***

After introductions to five different aspiring musicians on the rise and two businessmen hoping to acquire tickets to Matteo's shows for their wives, shows which have already sold out to capacity before rehearsals have even begun, I'm not opposed to seclusion. We choose a place on the terrace and I watch Matteo finally take a breath, having spent a good portion of the night observing how standoffish he still is meeting fans.