Chapter Twenty-Eight

I gaze into Matteo's sleeping face from my side of the bed. I've got my hands rested against the new sheets on our mattress. I stare at him, wondering how the hell, after the week I just had, after the months I've had, he could make me feel this happy again.

I feel the enormity of last night. It was a turning point for us. Especially for him. I don't know how I feel about working, working while he's not, but I do know I'd like to go back. The pictures of his parents and him are still resting beside him on the edge of the bed, beside the watch that I assume was his father's.

The sun is barely up outside but I feel it's heat. I'm ready to make this day special for him. It's his first birthday celebrating with me, also his first birthday with Charles.

I turn quietly and reach into the drawer, grabbing his gift. It's a Baton, with an ebony staff, the handle crusted in gold. It's lightweight like his other one. I have to see if it works for him. I know when it comes to these, it needs to have the right amount of grace, delicacy.

I rest it on my pillow, smiling down at him before I stand up, grabbing my robe off the door handle. I wrap it around myself, appreciating the satin and open the door, rubbing my hands through my knotted hair. The apartment is still quiet, thankfully. Charles is still sleeping so I have time to make breakfast.

I immediately walk to the fridge to see if we have brioche bread, wanting to make Matteo his favorite, French toast. I grin, biting my lip as I pull out the bread and eggs.

Yes.

Okay, now, I just have to remember how to make this. Maybe I wrote it down somewhere.

I'm moving through the drawers in the kitchen when I hear the familiar sound of a crying child. Charles is up.

I shut the drawer and am leaving the kitchen when my mother walks from the guest room, still in her pajamas.

"I've got him," she says, opening the nursery door. I smile as she does, glad for the help.

I turn back to my work, taking a deep breath.

                                                            ***

"Hey kiddo," my father greets me, kissing my cheek as I hold the sifter of powdered sugar in my hands. "Wow. That looks great."

"It's Matteo's favorite," I say, glancing at my mother who's giggling with Charles, sitting on the counter. She has her hands on him, but it's making me nervous.

"We have to go out and get something for him still, Jesse," my mother points out.

"Yeah, but what do we get him?" Dad says, directed towards me.

I shake my head. "I don't think he wants you two to go out of your way. He doesn't even want to celebrate this."

My mother gapes. "We have to get him a gift, Emma. I mean, come on. Oh also, Jesse and I would like to take Charles out to the aquarium today if you'd let us. It's been nice feeling like grandparents and we think you and Matteo should have some time on your own today."

"You are his grandparents," I press. "By all means, sure. He'd love the aquarium."

"What will you and Matteo do? Are you taking him out?"

I purse my lips, looking for the strawberries. "I'll think of something."

                                                            ***

The phone rings in my ear and I wonder if Doug is even going to answer my call. The man has to hate me right now. Surprisingly, it doesn't go to voicemail.