Chapter Forty-Two

Matteo's eyes open slowly, the anesthesia just beginning to wear off. I've been sitting in this chair for hours waiting for him to wake up. The gash wasn't deep but needed a few stitches.

As soon as his mouth tilts with amusement at my grumpy face, I speak, knowing he can hear me. "I am forbidding you to ever fight anyone ever again."

He hums, holding out his hand for the water beside the bed. "Deal," he says hoarsely.

"I meant it," I press sternly.

"I know."

I lift his hand to my cheek, needing to feel his warmth. It's past eleven now and my bones are weary. The adrenaline and fear took all the life out of me.

"Where's Charles and Hugh?" he asks.

"Hugh just went home. V is here with Cesar. They have Charles. They're just outside."

Matteo coughs after taking a sip of the water. "Is he alright? Was he hurt at all?"

I shake my head, taking the cup from him. "No. No, he's fine... I spoke to the cops a few minutes ago, told them my side of the whole thing. They're going to want to talk to you soon."

He nods, beginning to sit up. "Send them in."

"Are you sure?"

"It was just a scratch, Em. I'm not dying. I shouldn't even be sitting here."

"Um, like hell. You ordered me around a lot tonight. Now, you're going to get your payback. You're staying overnight."

He grimaces. "That's just cruel."

"Not my orders. Doctor's."

"Well, you should start getting home with Charles. He's probably exhausted."

I nod, kissing his hand. "I mean, I could stay. I don't want to lea-"

"He would probably be better tonight with you than your sister," Matteo says softly. His lips turn up warmly, and he squeezes my hand. "You worry too much about me."

"I can't help it."

"I know."

I groan, leaning forward to kiss him. "I love you."

"I love you too."

I nod, squeezing his hand once more before letting go. "I'll go get the officers. I'll see-"

"Em?"

Hand on the handle of the door, I turn back towards him. "Yeah?"

He exhales, as if he's looking for the right words to say and I can't really read his expression. Is he nervous? "I kind of... well, quit today, by the way."

I stare at him. "Quit?"

"My job. The dinner kind of went to hell when I told them I had to leave. They gave me an ultimatum."

He's looking at me as if I'm about to yell but truly, I've never been so proud. I smile, slowly. "You made the right decision."

"So, you're not upset?"

I shake my head, chuckling. "Fuck 'em."

He tries to hide his relief. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll be here before you're up."

"Get some sleep!" he exclaims exasperatedly as I walk out, smiling to myself.

***

Matteo and I stand idly in the doorway of Charles' nursery, newly furnished only today. We've been watching him sleep for over thirty minutes now, just standing here, silent.

"I can't believe we have him again," Matteo murmurs.

I nod, seeing how the yellow curls frame Charles face as he dreams. "I know... I'm finding it hard to believe that we don't have to say goodbye to him tomorrow. We get to keep him."

"Yes, we do." Matteo reaches for my hand, entwining our fingers. "For a very long time."

Charles tosses in his sleep, probably due to the light we're shining into the room. Reading my mind, Matteo pulls the door closed to let him sleep undisturbed. While I'm turning, still processing everything that's occurred and shaped us, I have to press a hand to my chest, overwhelmed by the range of emotions coursing through me. I've been so scared for so long. Now, all of the other emotions, one's that were once second nature to me, seem foreign.

Stopping by the couch, as if all those emotions built up to this exact moment, tears escape my eyelids, tears of relief. They pour down my face like the rush of a waterfall. I feel every part of myself in this moment. Every atom in my body, every muscle, every vein. My body becomes suddenly aware and it's startling.

Matteo's hand rests on my back, gentle but sure. I whirl around immediately, wrapping my arms tightly around his neck. I embrace him. I don't say anything. I don't think I have to... neither does he.

This struggle is over. Charles is here. He is safe... he's ours. We're allowed to feel the weight of this hell fall from our shoulders. I press my face into his throat, comforted immensely by the feel of his arms around me.

Matteo's lips press to my hair, his hands burying into the golden waves. I pull back to find his mouth awaiting mine.

"I love you so much," I breathe against his lips, desperately needing to tell him. "I love you."

He pulls back, but only enough to whisper my name.

"Emma."

***

"I think these colors are clashing, Hugh. What do you think?" I ask, holding up a mock-up poster. Hugh stops behind my desk chair, leaning over, observing the magazine cover intensely.

"It's the red, I think. It's crimson."

"Right? That's what I was thinking. Can you send it back to them and have them change it to a festive red? We need this cover to scream Christmas."

He nods, taking the poster. "I can't believe it will already be Christmas next week. It feels like Thanksgiving was just yesterday."

"Are you still going to Richard's party with Jose?"

He nods, biting his lip to hide his grin of anticipation. "Hell yes I am. I need some holiday action. This is cuddle weather, damn it."

"I hear you."

"What do you know of woes when it comes to the action department? You have a man at your disposal 24/7 now."

After almost three months since the court granted us back full custody of Charles, I can say Matteo did what he promised he would. Hugh clearly thinks marital life consists of never-ending action in the bedroom. "He still works while at home, Hugh. He met with new producers yesterday."

"And?"

"They look promising. They heard the demo of his new composition."

"And naturally they loved it, right?"

I grin cheekily. "Naturally."

He wags his head at me, rolling his eyes. "So, when am I going to hear this masterpiece?"

"Well, I'm guessing after I hear it."

"You haven't heard it yet?" he asks, shocked.

"Nope. He won't let me."

"Why not?"

I smile, looking down at my hands. "Because... it's dedicated to me."