Chapter Thirty-Three

I'm packing my bags angrily when the door opens. It's been fifteen minutes and I'm in worse shape than I was when I initially came in here. Charles things are on the bed beside mine, ready to go. Matteo can pack his own shit.

I feel him before I see him. "Your mother has Charles. I told everyone to stay for the rest of the night... I didn't tell them."

I set my wedding gown onto the bed, feeling angrier looking at it.

"Emma, I know you are furious at me right now, but think for a second. I found out about this two days after your miscarriage, one day after you came home from the hospital."

I tilt my head over my shoulder, pinning my gaze onto him sharply. He's still in his swim trunks, red ones, no shirt. His hair is wavier than usual after drying with sea water in it. I throw up my arms, unloading. "You knew for weeks. Weeks! Every day you didn't tell me this, Matteo, you were lying to me!"

"I wasn't lying. I was omitting the truth in order to make sure you were safe. I was going to tell you, of course, but at the right time!"

I chuckle, shaking my head, too frightened at the prospect of losing Charles to want to listen to his excuses.

"Emma, do you honestly think I wanted to deal with this on my own? Do you think it's been easy for me? I've been trying to make sure you're safe and healing, that I don't slack at work, that Charles is getting the attention he needs, all while finding out that we're about to go to fucking court too!" I breathe in, pressing my hands to my hips. He holds out his hand, stopping me from talking. "I made a decision, a difficult one because I had to. You fucking know everything about me. You know I didn't want to keep this to myself. And if I'm being completely honest, I don't regret not telling you! Your safety is everything to me and I will not apologize for this. I won't!"

I shake my head, scoffing, tears falling easily out of my eyes. "Are you done?"

"Oh, for fuck's sake, Emma," he snaps, running a hand through his hair in aggravation. "It's not like you to be irrational. Please don't start now."

"Do you understand how bad this could be? DO YOU? That baby is ours. It's mine. No one else's! I don't care if he came from him!"

"I know! What do you think I've been trying to figure out? I don't want him to take Charles either!"

I turn, zipping up my bag. "We should have never come here. We should have never done this. This could ruin everything."

"Don't say that," he breathes, coming up behind me. "Emma." I move away from him, stiffly. "Please, Emma!"

"I trusted you!"

He grabs my arms and pulls me to him roughly. "Emma, look at me."

I can't. My head dangles. So, he reaches for my face. He forces me to look into his eyes.

"I did what I did for only one reason. I kept this to myself for one goddamn reason and that is because I love you. I wanted to spare you as long as I could, try to fix this myself. It didn't work... and now I need you. We need each other."

I grab his wrists and pull them from my face, too pissed to remain this close. His words don't mean a thing right now. "We need to go."

                                                            ***

I watch from the jet as Matteo speaks to my parents, handing them the group's new flight details. They tried to pry the bad news from me but I remained tight lipped, not wanting to ruin the rest of their vacation. They've just gotten to know Charles. I can't even imagine having to tell them they won't see him again.