Chapter 46 - Elderberries

Third Person – Daryl

Daryl was leant against the car, his head dropped as he looked to the ground and brought his hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose and then rub his eyes.

"I found him. He didn't want to come. Just walked off." Michonne said as she came back. "Daryl?" She asked when he didn't respond. "Where's Kat?" She then asked, looking around and seeing that the eldest Greene girl was no longer there.

Daryl's hand dropped as he pushed himself away from the car and looked to Michonne. "She's sick." He stated. Michonne said nothing as she stared back. "I'll go talk to Ty." He broke eye contact and started walking away before he'd even finished his sentence.

"Daryl!" Michonne called after him, but he kept walking.

Daryl was looking for Ty for a good 45 minutes. The longer he looked the more on edge he became. He knew he was around somewhere, but he wanted to leave. He wanted to leave as soon as he could.

'Ah, there you are." He said once he had finally found him. Tyreese stood outside A block, looking through the glass of the top of the door. "Took me damn near forever to find ya. Watchya doin'?" Daryl then asked, looking over to the other man. Tyreese's left eye was swollen shut from Rick's beating.

"Somebody needs to stand watch." Tyreese said back.

"Man, I want to find them, too." Daryl reassured. "Put a bolt in them for what they did. These people are cut off. Ain't no way anyone's getting in and out without a whole bunch of people seeing 'em."

"Sasha's in there. I ain't going nowhere." Ty shook his head.

"Yeah... Kat's in there too. You think I want to leave?" Daryl questioned. "But standing guard ain't gonna do no good unless we come back with them meds." Tyreese turned his back, looking back into A block. "Alright. Gassing up by the front gate in case you change your mind." Daryl walked out.

He made it out of A block and came up to a table that was used for breakfast meals. No one was around. He stopped walking, standing still in front of the table, his own breath almost echoing in the abandoned room of the prison. He rubbed his eyes again as his breath deepened and a sudden burst of rage took over before he gripped the edge of the table and flipped it over with a loud clatter and a frustrated angry yell.

"Daryl." Hershel's voice broke the silence that followed after as Daryl turned to see the older man standing in the doorway.

Daryl's breath was heavy as his chest visibly rose up and down. "You know?" Daryl asked after a second.

"Yes." Hershel nodded. "I don't think her dehydration yesterday was dehydration. This sickness is different for everyone. For some it acts fast, others it's a little slower." Daryl looked over to the flipped table. "She's going to be fine." Daryl now looked back. "Get that medicine."

Daryl nodded before dropping his head and moving towards the exit, out into the courtyard and back towards the car. Bob met him down there before long.

"Everything look all right?" Bob asked as Daryl closed the bonnet of the car.

"Yeah. Zach kept this thing running pretty good."

"This is Zach's car?" Bob asked, looking the vehicle over, staring at it while thinking on the death of the boy.

"Yeah, fastest one we got." Daryl explained. "You alright?"

"You really want me coming along?"

Daryl reached into his pockets and pulled out the list of medicine Kat had written up, taking it over to Bob and holding it up, pointing to the first item of the list.