Chapter 49 - Calm Before The Storm

Sleep had never been more welcome. As it turned out it was night time when people started to turn and Daryl and the others finally got back. The IV was put right into my arm and with the blessedly black sky and now relatively quiet halls I slept peacefully and woke nearly as I had always done. With the sun, a sigh and a slight stretch. But still a little cough. I didn't feel good by any means, but the aches had gone and the constant exhaustion was no more than slight fatigue now.

"You shouldn't be in here." I whispered when I rolled over to see Daryl sitting in a chair with his feet propped up on the bed while sharpening his hunting knife.

"We got the meds, there ain't a risk anymore."

I didn't have the energy to argue so simply moved on, he was here now, couldn't change that.

"How's Glenn?"

"Should ask your dad, I haven't seen him, but I heard he's doing okay." Daryl began to sit up. "How are you feelin'?"

"Better." I whispered before starting t sit up right. "Did everything go alright?"

"Well enough."

"Daryl..." I started, knowing that probably wasn't true.

He got to his feet and leant over, placing a kiss on my cheek that I didn't entirely expect and caused a smile to tug in the corner of my mouth. "We all made it back." Was his response. "I'll go and see if I can get you somethin' to eat."

As he walked out my dad began to walked in. The question was in my eyes, reaching him loud and clear before I could even ask it.

"Glenn's okay. Breathing on his own now. Bob and Maggie are watching over him." He answered.

"He's a tough son of a bitch." Daryl nodded.

"That he is." Dad agreed.

"And you're a tough son of a bitch." Daryl pointed to him as I chuckled.

Dad nodded. "I am." He then stepped towards me as the two parted.

"You should be resting." I spoke once Daryl had left, discovering my voice was still slightly croaky now that I wasn't whispering.

"I slept all night, Bob and Maggie took over from me. It's you that needs rest."

"I think I've had plenty of that."

"You'll recover quickly. The flu itself isn't bad and the symptoms have been stopped. But you still need rest... Veterinarian's orders."

"Mmm. Daryl shouldn't be in here."

"I think it's safe now." He reassured. "And I'm not sure anyone could stop him. He's been here all night. Don't think he slept."

"Probably didn't sleep much while he was gone either." I whispered again as I closed my eyes and rested my head on the wall behind me. "So," I began to change to topic once again, "was I hallucinating, or did I see you throw a walker over a railing?"

A light chuckle from my dad caused me to open my eyes again with a slight smirk. "I may only have one leg, but I still have quite a few tricks up my sleeve. Don't you forget that."

"Never." I smiled.

"There's something I need to tell you. I didn't want to mention it yesterday in case it got you worked up." This was not a promising start. "Karen and David... It was Carol."

"What?"

"She wanted to stop it from spreading. Keep everyone safe."

"Where is she?" I asked, sitting up straight again, an urgency in my voice.