Chapter 01

"What, am I not the prince in shining armor you were expecting?" Definitely not Marco

"What, am I not the prince in shining armor you were expecting?" Definitely not Marco. For one thing, he looked different. Another thing, even if Marco was used to speaking he wouldn't say that. This guy was a black haired blue-eyed guy.

I shake out the old memoir. Every now and again things come back to me as I walk down these halls. But I walk these halls five days a week, so why now? No idea.

Coffee in hand, bookbag around my shoulder, and I push open the door to the class. The class I adore.

First period every day is great. Everyone is always there ready to go, and always there to learn--not to distract. My life takes place here most of the time. Welcome to RoseWood's High School For Deaf Children.

I teach the nineth grade language arts. Sometimes deaf children don't get to learn how to write or read, or not well. Why should they be pushed aside just because they are deaf? They should not be. I was a deaf girl, in a 80% hearing school. It was tough. I'd always done that because I had my brother, mostly, and my friend who went there.

My friend and I stuck as close as we could to each other, us both being deaf. But all my horrible memories root from that high school. Other than falling out a window as a kid and making myself deaf.

Every student signs to each other in the cream colored room with tiled floors, and I just wait for a moment to watch them. It's rude in the deaf community to stare at others because you could be spying on their conversation. But I don't want to disrupt or spy. I just love to watch them all speak to one another.

It's nothing like how I remember going to a hearing school. Everyone here is so understanding of one another. So helpful. Maybe it's because they all understand somewhat of what the other person is going through.

But being deaf is not a disability, not to me. It's something that makes you different and that's all. I flash a light to get there attention, and they all sit down in their seats. I love this job.

I turn on the first slide that I had prepared for the day. "Does anyone have any questions before we start?" I sign to my students.

Everyone looks solely on me, which sometimes can be frightening, so they can listen in. I point at one student, Farah, for her to answer. Everyone turns to see her as they wait.

She rises her hands and begins to sign. "Miss Classur, I forgot the paper we finished yesterday. Can I email you a typed copy?"

Most teachers wouldn't allow that, seeing as it could be copyrighted somehow. Or from the internet or the like. But I trust my kids. "Put it on google drive and share it with me." I sign and turn back to the rest of the class.

"Any other questions?" I ask in sign, with no replies.

I turn back to my laptop and pull up the next slide. "Getting into it right away, I have an assignment. It's creative don't worry. Just write me an opinionated piece that describes if you think being deaf is a disability or not. Go ahead, and come up to me if you have any questions." I send them on their merry way, and sit down.

On my laptop, my eyes sneakily scan through my personal emails. Hey, I'm twenty one, I still have a personal life. One from Marco! I quickly tap it open and there's a fairly long email with an attachment.

How's being a teacher for a class? Easier than one-on-one like Me? I know that you are working right now. I am too. But I have this student who I think could benefit from both mine and your help. Her name is June, and she's fifteen. She recently lost her hearing in a car accident, about nine months ago. She has just made the decision with her parents to learn ASL and  cope with being deaf. If you could help take her on as a student with me, it would be appreciated. We could set up a video call, and just speak with her. Give me a text when you can.

-Marco.

I would love to help with that! I began to write an email as fast as I could. If I could help another deaf child, I will. Or teenager, that is. Whatever it may be, I've gone through it. I know how challenging it can be when you first become deaf, or just trying to work through being deaf. It really depends on the person.

Marco had gone out of high school to be a private teacher and translator for the deaf community. He helps a lot of people in a lot of different ways. We both still live in Virginia and everything, he just moved farther out. His life really went for the better after his mother's boyfriend was out of his life.

He even has a girlfriend now. Her name is Daphne, I think. She's deaf in one of her ears and I think they met when they were in school to be translators. They really hit it off, he truly loves her.

Of course I will help! You know me, Marco! Text me a time tonight and we'll Skype. I'll help in any ways that I can be of use. Text me all the details so I know what to expect though. The poor girl, fifteen and just a few months ago.  But I am assured that we can help her. Nothing like the old power team, right? I'll be there to help her as far as I can. How are you and Daphne? Hope you're well. And I love the classroom environment, thank you very much. Talk to you soon.

-Abira Classur

P.S. No easier than your  teaching! But we'll debate that later! Ha!

My fingers click send and I turn to a student walking up to my desk with his notebook.

"Yes, James?" I ask in sign. He places down his book on my desk and begins to sign. I love this job.