Chapter 25

ABIRA'S POV

I was nervously excited. 

Then again, when am I not? I feel like a teenager waiting to get asked to prom, only, I've already been asked. Travis and I had made plans for the day, just to hang out, get to know each other better. It had been a long time since I'd been on any sort of date, so I was really unknowing as to what to expect.

And, everyone's different. He could really like formal dates, or really casual ones, or ones where they feel like they aren't even a date.

So, because I'm a wimp, we made it a double date sort of thing. 

Blaire and Mick would be coming too, just so I wouldn't feel so on the spot. Of course, Blaire knew that she and Mick weren't actually on a date, but try telling Mick that.

The guy was persistent, I'll give him that.

"How about this?" Blaire asked and then held up a dress.

"Its a date, Blaire, I'm not going to a school dance!"

She rolled her eyes, her expression hardening. "I'm helping you! Don't be so... Abira."

"Gee, thanks," I sighed. "We're only hanging out here, it doesn't need to be so over the top. And plus..." I didn't finish.

Blaire nodded and understood. "Youre right. He doesn't care what you look like," she smiled warmly and just set out a pair of my jeans that I'd suggested earlier. Blaire flopped down on my bed where I was sitting and checked her phone. "Which is why I think he's so good for you."

"Hm?" I felt my throat tingle with the noise that I was cursed not to hear. It was a bit odd, I'll admit, my old enemy and I planning date outfits together.

Tossing up her black hair into a messy bun, she shrugged. "Travis. I think you two are cute together."

"We aren't 'together' yet, Blaire."

"Still, I can totally see it," she held up both of her hands, like she was weighing a scale. "You're a cutie pie and he's a cutie pie, you both deserve someone nice, and you're both awkward. Perfect match."

I scoffed and then proceeded to laugh. "Because that's what makes a relationship work and worthwhile."

"Hey," she suddenly became stern. "Don't do that."

"Don't do what?"

"Don't start thinking nothing works." She said. I could totally see how she was a mother. Her glare was just so... I don't know, mother-y? "Because you always used to do that and it backfired on you. You start to think nothing good will ever happen to you, Abira, and that's when people back off from you or take advantage of your innocence."

"Lord." I said curtly.  Blaire had gotten really serious, really fast, and I couldn't exactly tell why. "O-Okay, I wont... Can I ask ... uh, what do you mean?"

It wasn't often that I had such bad stuttering and word whiskers, Id worked really hard to get those out of my system when I was younger. Blaire took on a look of a friend again, instead of my mother, and she bit down on her lip. 

Slowly, she nodded. "It happened to me, too, Abira." She admitted. "I thought that about myself, that nothing good could ever happen. Growing up, I had everything I physically wanted. A big house, rich parents, boys chasing me, but that's all superficial. I thought nobody could ever really love me for me. That's why in high school, when I got really down, I chose you to fire on. I saw someone who was far more damaged than me, and all I wanted was to shatter someone else. It kept me sane, I guess, in a really bad way. And eventually, it backfired on me, too," she rubbed her stomach. "Im grateful for my daughter, but I was not ready to have her."