Chapter 22

I had the dumbest face, and I totally knew it. I couldn't stop thinking about what happened.

Sure, it could just be my feelings being sprawled everywhere - but I was really excited to have someone say something like Travis did. I was far beyond too nervous to commit to anything, obviously, but we exchanged numbers. I never thought that I'd be a person who would want to try romance again.

I was a super dumb teenager and I felt like that ruined me. It taught me how not to trust people.

Sipping my homemade coffee - which was not as good as the cafe's, I might add - and just stared at my tv mindlessly. I had nowhere to be, and I was enjoying it. I don't know if I expected Travis to text me first or if I should text him, but I was nervous.

To my surprise, Stacy texted.

Hey sis! Me and Dustin are going to be in town, would you mind babysitting Caleb while we're out and about? We're going baby shopping! I hate to put it on you but could you? - Stacy.

I smiled. Of course! I love my little nephew.

Of course! And 'baby shopping'? Try 'baby clothes' shopping.

You know what I meant. Thank you! I'll drop him off asap. - Stacy

Suddenly, my phone went off that someone had rang my doorbell. I was surprised, I didn't think she was that close by. I yawned, got off my lazy end, and opened the door. I took a step back.

Marco stood smiling softly at the door, and I felt utterly stupid. I'd completely forgotten that we'd arranged to hang out that day!

"Uh, hi!" I exclaimed.

He smiled a bit wider and waved. "Hey," he signed. "We're you thinking of staying in or going out somewhere?"

I shrugged, frantically trying to think. Marco would understand if I had arranged to have my nephew over, right? Of course... "Uh, see, I sort of got my wires crossed..." I began. He looked expectant, waiting for me to finish. "My nephew, I have to babysit my nephew."

Marco pointed his thumb to his car, offering to go. "I don't have to stay if you're busy."

"Oh, no, it's fine! You've met Caleb. If you want to stay, you can!" I smiled and waved him inside. "Stacy doesn't mind if we go out with him anyways. I'll text her and make sure, but if you want to go somewhere, we can too."

His smile that I'd fondly remembered from when we were younger crossed his face and he nodded. "Whatever your comfortable with."

***

Stacy looked frazzled, now about four months along in her pregnancy. Her torso had expanded outwards, and she fumbled with her keys while Dustin got the stroller out of their car.

"Thank you so much, sis," she hugged me as best she could around the baby bump. "With his work and mine, and then there's Caleb," she ran a hand through her hair. I remembered when it was once a vibrant purple color, back when we were teenagers. "It's sort of rushed."

"Don't even worry about it." I assured her. I held Caleb in my arms, bouncing him slightly to keep him entertained while I waited to take him inside. "We got him."

"We?" She looked confused.

"You didn't get my text?" I asked. She shook her head and I shrugged. "Marco's over with me. Are you good with that? I won't take Caleb out if you don't want me to."

Stacy got a girlish grin on her face, then proceeding to smirk, her hands planted on her hips. "Honey, if you got a guy over, that's all your business. You can do what you want."

I felt heat rush to my face and I shook my head rapidly. "No! You know we aren't like that, Stace."

"Uh-huh." She stated, her eyebrows tense. Her smile held it all; she totally still thought about us like a couple. I remembered my conversation with Travis, and I felt myself smile.

"Actually, while you're here, there is something I wanted to tell you."

"Spill!" She said excitedly.

I ran a hand through my hair and bit down on my lip. She lightly tapped my arm to get me to hurry up and talk. "I've been trying to branch out with friends and all lately, and one of Blaire's friends and I, sort of, -"

Stacy's mouth opened wide In what I think was joy. I think she may have shrieked. "Kissed?!"

"No!" I said rapidly.

"Oh -! Well, tell me!"

"We just got along well, Stace! Don't worry I'm not running off with someone I don't know," I paused. "He may have mentioned that he was attracted to me... I think."

"Abira, if you think, then you know!" She kissed my forehead like she used to and jumped up and down, all her pregnant belly and everything. "I'm so happy for you! You know how much I want you to find someone to be happy with!"

I looked down at the ground, smiling. "Yeah. I do."

"Well, do you like him too?" She pressed.

I looked to see if Dustin was done, and he hadn't quite finished. That would've been my way out of the conversation. Dang it, Dustin! I bounced Caleb in my arms and turned him around to lean him on my shoulder.

"I think I do."

"Oh, Abira," Stacy fanned her face, tears springing from her eyes. "I'm so glad! And even if it doesn't turn out to be much, you're just -" she paused and wiped her eyes. "You're doing well, you know? Have I told you that lately?"

I smiled, watching my sister cry made me want to do the same. "You're pregnancy hormones are out of whack!" I said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yes, I know, but, Abira!" She hugged me again and smiled. "Okay, I have to go," her throat lumped and her face was still a little red but I think she was forcing herself to leave. "Watch my kid and slay the boys, Abira!"

Oh my gosh, she could be embarrassing. But I loved that my sister cared so much about my wellbeing. And speak of the devil, I felt my phone go off in my pocket.