The Servant

Kellin awoke on the hard stone floor.

At first, he figured that he accidentally fell off the bed but as he inhaled the air he knew something was off. He gently sat up and examined the room he was in, noting the stone walls and the single window that was at the far left of him. Right beside him was a large bed with white silk blankets and large fluffy pillows the posts were mahogany and the curtain was a heavy green felt.

Slowly, the prince rose from the floor and gazed out the single window to only see the unfriendly ground miles down. Though the prince had sat in the window in his room, the height wasn't that great, but the view from this tower was alarming.

Taking a few steps back, Kellin noticed the burgundy door that seemed to stand out. He quickly yanked it opened and went through to see a cozy area that was full of bookshelves that were stocked with books and at the far corner was a latter. Kellin would stay and marvel at the view but he had other things on his mind. When he went through another burgundy door, he was greeted by a large room that had a large oak table and a cooking area. A doorway right next to it had plush 3 armchairs with a fireplace along with a large mirror over the mantle. The next door he went through, though, he was greeted by a flight of stairs and a face. A handsome face at that.

"Princess, I'm glad to see you've woken" he greeted.

Kellin had never been addressed as a princess but he couldn't help but really like the way it rolled off the mysterious man's tongue.

"Oh hello there," the prince gasped "you have frightened me"

"My apologies, princess" he bowed, sending the prince a heart melting half smile.

Kellin could feel his heart flutter and the blood rush to his cheeks, tinting them to a red color. Out of nerves, Kellin fiddled with the hem of his sleeves and bit his bottom lip.

"It is quite alright" Kellin excused "may you tell me where I am, please?"

"You are in the great dragon's tower" the man explained "it seems as you are his next suitor"

"Suitor? I-I can't be a suitor" Kellin shook his head "why me?"

"It seems as if you have a kind heart, princess. The great dragon is very particular about his suitors" he smiled.

Kellin nodded with a sigh and locked eyes with the beautiful human being in front of him.

"What is your name, if I may ask" the prince asked.

"I am Victor" he bowed "loyal slave to the great dragon"

A slave? My goodness, you poor soul" Kellin gasped, covering his mouth with his hand.

"Do not worry about me, princess" Victor assured "I've been here a long time"

Kellin's heart broke glancing at Victor's saddened expression that flashed across his face. Kellin desperately wanted to comfort him with a long embrace but remembered he was of royal blood with restrictions to sympathetic gestures such as an embrace. He remembered his situation and instantly started to worry.

"Oh, Victor," Kellin fretted "I must go back home. My father must be distraught of my disappearance"

"I understand, princess" Victor sorrowfully addressed "though, I am afraid that the Great Dragon will notice your sudden absence"

With tears forming in his eyes, Kellin sighed with slight defeat and nodded slowly with eyes glued to the floor.

"But I know a way to escape" Victor confessed quietly "I'll show you later, at the dead of night. In the meantime, I have prepared a meal fit for a queen, just for you"