Chapter Eight

Darren woke up in the morning, leaving his eyes closed as he thought. What should he do with Carrie tonight? It was still the big question that was on his mind. But, he might as well let Carrie decide, even if she doesn't want to meet Lori, that's okay. Opening his eyes, he looked at his hand but froze when Carrie wasn't there. Bolting upright, he scanned the pillow, then the whole bed, but the tiny girl was no where to be seen. "Carrie?!" He called as he got out of bed, looking around his bedroom. Still no Carrie.

As he slowly walked around his room, he kept his eye out for any sign of her. But there was none, he couldn't see her anywhere. "Carrie, come here!" He called again, looking around as panic began to set in. 

Carrie could hear him calling for her, but she didn't want to see him. Last night, she wasn't sure what happened, but whatever did she still felt bad about. Closing her eyes, she curled into a ball underneath his bed, her hair hiding her face as she watched his feet shuffle around the floor as he looked for her. She didn't want to face him, not just yet at least. She'll stay hidden all day if she has to.

As Darren continued to search he stopped as his phone began to chime and he hurriedly picked it up, answering the phone to find Lori on the end. "Hello?" He answered quietly, a happy giggle coming from the other line.

"Hi Darren! I'm glad you picked up, I was just going to say good morning and see you at work, and I really hope your friend is doing better. You seemed so worried about her yesterday! Maybe I could meet her?" Lori asked hopefully as she held the phone under her chin, painting her nails a crimson red color.

"Yes, she's doing better thankfully. I'm sure she'd be happy to know you cared about her well being even if you haven't met her. And maybe. It would be nice if you two could get along, but have an open mind about her please. She's...different. Special." Darren said with a small smile. Carrie was definitely different, in a very good way.

Carrie was under the bed, listening to his end of the conversation. Special? Why would think that, because of her size? It wasn't special, it was horrible. She couldn't do anything on her own pretty much!  She curled into a tighter ball. She didn't really want to meet another human, no matter how nice they seemed.

"Oh good! And I'll definitely have an open mind, I don't want to upset anyone tonight!" Lori said with a grin, waving her hand to try and dry her nails. "You said her name was Carrie right?"

"Yes, her name is Carrie." Darren replied with a sigh, glancing around his room again. "I hope you don't mind Lori, but I have to go now. I have to get ready for work and all of course." He was really actually worried about Carrie, but he didn't want to upset Lori just yet. "I might have to call off to get ready for tonight too." 

"Awe, that's sweet of you to want to get everything that perfect! Don't worry about picking me up, I'll meet you at your house around 7:00 tonight, does that work?" She hummed as she set her nail polish down.

"It's no problem, and that sounds just fine Lori. I'll see you tonight." Darren hung up quickly, a small smile crossing his face. She really was a nice girl, and he knew she always had a crush on him. He then turned his attention back to the room. "Carrie?!" He shouted, trying to find her yet again.

Flinching at the loud voice, Carrie covered her ears and processed everything going on. Her own little crush was going to date another girl, and even though she seemed nice she didn't want to meet her, and now she was stuck under this bed not wanting to come out no matter how uncomfortable or hungry she got. She'd starve herself before tonight if she had to.

Darren continued to search, not bothering to look under his bed considering it didn't even cross his mind. He searched his entire house though out of his room, every nook and cranny and before he knew it, a whole day had gone by and he hadn't seen any sign of Carrie. He began to think maybe she left, maybe she found a way to get outside and left? This thought made his heart sink to his shoes as his chest completely tightened. She left him. It hadn't been that long and all he wanted to do was help, but she left him.

Closing his eyes, he went to the kitchen to prepare dinner, all the while thinking about what he could have done. Did he scare her too bad accidentally? Did he hurt her by accident? He had no idea! Maybe she was just overreacting. That had to be it right? With a quiet sigh, he began to set the table, eyebrows furrowed as he continued to think. 

Shortly, the doorbell rang and he tensed and took a deep breath, slowly walking over to the door and opened, blinking in surprise. 

Lori stood there, a black dress fitting tightly on her chest and waist, a dark red lipstick on her lips and looking at her nails he could see they were painted the same dark red as her lips. It kind of reminded him of a vampire, but she also looked really lovely. And here he was in just a nice shirt and jeans. "Hey Darren." She said in her usual cheery tone as she stepped into his house. 

"Hello Lori." Darren mumbled as a small smile tugged at his lips. "I hope you're hungry, I made some chicken and vegetable soup." He began to walk to the kitchen, Lori following behind him.

Lori scanned the room with a smile, excited. She's always liked Darren, and now she finally was eating dinner with him. But then there was movement out of the corner of her eye and immediately assumed it was a mouse, letting out a small scream as she moved closer to Darren.

Darren tensed at her scream and looked at her. "Lori! What is it?!" He demanded as he looked over her then around the room, Lori grabbing his hand and caused him to tense before smiling.

"Th-There was a mouse! I-I saw it!" She squealed, looking over to where she saw it, shaking. "I-I hate mice!" She moved behind him.

Darren was about to walk over when a small figure stepped out from behind the door, looking dead at him. He instantly knew who it was right away before she even said anything. "Carrie.."