Chapter Sixteen

((Don't forget to vote if you like and follow for more! It really helps me want to write more because I know people are enjoying it!))

It's black eyes were staring down at her, large drops of drool falling from it's mouth and loud panting echoing overhead. The clicking wound up being it's long, sharp looking nails. And of course the ground shaking was it's padded feet hitting the floor.

Carrie stared up at the beast as it stared down at her, and she slowly began to back away from it with a whimper. "N-Nice...d-doggy..." She spoke softly, raising her hands up in a defensive position even though she knew it wouldn't help if the dog attacked her.

The black monster looked down at her, seeming confused when she wound up talking. Looking it over, she spotted a white collar with a name embedded into the tag. "M-Max? I-Is that your n-name?" She stuttered out quietly, and the dog got a bit excited as it brought it's muzzle closer to her, and she was able to tell Max was sniffing at her.

She had to hold perfectly still. Her heart pounding in her chest as she struggled not to scream in fear. Who could blame her though? A giant dog this close to you. 

That was when the beast seemed to lose interest and went on over to his food bowl in the corner of the room. Carrie let out the breath she didn't notice she was holding and looked back to the front door, eyeing the flap she could possibly get out. But even if she did get out, she'd have to try and trek back to Darren's house which could take days for her! But she'd just have to try.

She began to hesitantly make her way closer to the door, watching the dog from the corner of her eye as he enjoyed his meal. It had to be at least three meters from where she was standing to the door, which was quite far away for her. She could try running, but that might excite the dog and make him attack her. And she did not want that to happen.

She felt the ground shaking and her body tensed as she heard the same panting. It was then Carrie saw a shadow fall over her and she let out a yelp and shut her eyes tight, preparing to feel sharp fangs or possibly a paw on top of her. But when she didn't, she opened her eyes and looked to see that Max was just watching her, seemingly curious as to what she was doing.

Not really enjoying the unwanted attention, Carrie took a deep breath and just took off running to the door.  It was then the vibrations started again and she thought that she was about to be attacked, but was surprised when the dog just started walking alongside her. She stopped moving and looked up at him. "Max?" She said timidly, flinching when the animal barked in response to his name.

It was then she could see this giant beast meant her no harm. He was just a curious puppy is all. Feeling slightly more relieved, she slowly reached up and scratched his leg. "Y-You're a good boy aren't you? You're just curious." A small smile formed on her lips as she watched the dog bark again, seemingly happy.

Carrie began to make her way towards the door once again, hoping she could make it. She knew that Max was right behind her the whole time, so once she reached the door she realized she was at least two inches short of reaching the bottom of the flap. Crouching down as far as she could, she then pushed off the floor with all her might leaping into the air, grabbing the edge with her fingers and a proud smile formed on her face.

The ground suddenly started to shake and a booming voice was heard. "Oh little one?!" The man called from the stairs. Panic shot through Carrie as she swiftly pulled herself up and shoved on the plastic flap. It gave and before she knew it she had tumbled out onto the cement walkway with a yelp of pain.

Looking over her arms she could see they were all skinned up now. Shutting her eyes, she quickly pushed herself to her feet. She knew she had to run, but where? Looking around, she was able to tell she was a few miles from Darren's house. The only reason she knew this was because she recognized the vandalized sign on the side of the street that had a very inappropriate picture of a woman spray painted onto it.

"Where are you?!" A loud voice boomed angrily from inside and Carrie took off off of the cement into the grass and began the two day journey to Darren's house. No, the journey home.

Meanwhile, poor Darren was searching his yard and everywhere along the street from his own house and work. What if a stray cat got to his little friend first? Or some other animal? Shaking his head, he pushed those thoughts away as he scanned the area. He wanted to find her so badly, take her inside and get her a warm bath and clean clothes. He wanted to know she was safe.

He searched until the sun began to set, and his heart wrenched at the thought of Carrie being out there all alone in the dark. Sure she did it before she met him, but he knew he didn't want her to go through anymore pain than what she'd already gone through when she was out there all by herself.

As he went into his house, he used his phone to tell Lori to keep an eye out. Once he had done that, he headed upstairs to his bedroom as he changed into his flannel pajamas and looked at his bed, seeing a tiny indent in the pillow where Carrie had slept the previous night. 

Walking over to his window, he stared out into the red and orange painted sky, praying that she wasn't hurt as silent tears went down his face.