005

DRACO

"Not everyone is perfect, like me."

Spell books surrounding the desk along with letters and trinkets from past Head Students.

Draco was knee deep in chaos.

He tried planning setups of the Ball, with themes, music and food. Thinking it would've been a walk in a park, he was dead wrong. Everything seemed light and easy on top, but when he sorted the many requirements, spell difficulty and how many things he would need, his mind was tied into knots.

Although the entire event was overworking his brain power, the subject of finding out how to ask Hermione to the Ball seemed a lot more confusing. He knew how difficult it was to talk to her or even get her to accept his offer. She was like trying to tame buck-beak – almost impossible... well, for Draco it was another story.

Draco thought girls could be persuaded by spoiling them with lavish and luxurious gifts. If Hermione required a Jewel Necklace from a Dragon's lair, he was sure his father would find any daring witch or wizard that would do so for a fair price. Or if she wanted to travel the world, gaining more knowledge of the magic world, he would've come with her and even invite her muggle parents. But Hermione wasn't that type of girl, and seemed to be rather hard to please with a strong feminist stance.

Glancing once over the mounds of books, Draco finally gave in to the calling to return to his dorm. The letters and books and small good luck trinkets sat in his satchel and hands as he left the library, spotting the same book that puzzled him and Hermione.

Suddenly, an idea popped into his head, instantly lighting the fire in his eyes. With determination, he grabbed the book off of the pile and grabbed a spare letter and his quill, instantly writing a letter to his father. When finished, he placed it in an envelope and left the library, feeling invigorated as he powered on towards his dorm.

It was quick getting a reply from his father, as well as receiving a parcel with the item that he strictly requested with a lie added amongst the mix

It was quick getting a reply from his father, as well as receiving a parcel with the item that he strictly requested with a lie added amongst the mix. Now, he was strolling into the classroom and taking his seat in the back corner where he could get away with paying little attention to the teacher.

The gift was on Hermione's desk in which he placed before class. He had to walk in late after sitting it carefully, with the intentions on making it not look odd and suspicious with him being strangely early to class.

He watched the back of her head in which her brown locks were tied into a low plait that cascaded down her back. He could see her flipping the present in hand as Ron looked over at her, a frown on his face and obviously muttering something under his breath.

Ron must have said something sensitive to Hermione because she snatched it away, and barked at him angrily.

"Are girls now not allowed to receive presents and open them without some jealous guy looking over her shoulder, Ronald Weasley? Or is it only applying to me?"

Ron had back away with awkwardness as Hermione's anger was flaring. It intrigued Draco, mentally asking why she even bothered to stay with those two morons. But nonetheless, he asked himself about being with Crabbe and Goyle.

Because everyone is scared of you.

There was no movement after Hermione's outburst, and Draco shrunk into his seat as he knew he wouldn't be able to see her open her gift.

But after class, he was lucky enough to find her sitting in the courtyard, the brown paper bag package turning in her hands once again.

Draco lurked in the shadows of the corridor, behind the arches as he watch on. He knew he couldn't be seen if Hermione looked around. Yes, she was a smart girl and Draco was sure that she could somehow figure out that he was the culprit. But he still leaned against the beam, carefully sneaking a glance to watch her closely.

Hermione finally opened it and her eyes grew wide at she stared at the potions book in front of her. A smile was slowly forming on her lips the longer she eyed the cover, boosting the feeling of success that bubble in the pits of Draco's stomach. The more Hermione flipped between the pages and adored the beautiful golden-embellished cover, the more Draco's nerves lit up.

"Malfoy!"

Draco turned around in the spot, emerging from the darkness to Crabbe and Goyle who were leaning against the opposite wall. He did not know how long the pair had been standing there but he was anxious. If they saw too much, Draco's façade would begin to crack, and Draco felt as if he needed to keep it up around the two. After all, without the mask, he would have no one by his side.

"You're definitely set on asking Hermione to the Ball?" Goyle asked, nodding in the direction of the courtyard.

Draco threw a small glance over his shoulder and crossed his arms as a defensive stance. The pair didn't need to ask any more, as Draco glared at them both. They both took a step closer as students went around with an invisible barrier keeping them from bumping into the trio. But Draco had a feeling that the sudden move had some other reason.

"Do you really think it's a good idea?" Crabbe asked hesitantly. "She's best friends with Weasley and Potter. Do you really think that she'll say yes, let alone the other two let her go?"

Draco frowned at Crabbe and broadened his shoulders, leaning down to come eye level to Crabbe. He was shorter than Draco and a lot rounder. Although Crabbe could probably pack a punch, Draco still loomed over him with intimidation.

"If you have been living in the forbidden forest, you wouldn't have seen how Hermione can hold her stance against the two. Did you see her fight between her, Harry and Ron at the last Wizarding Tournament Ball?" Crabbe nodded his head quickly, and ducked away. Draco smirked at his achievement, and slightly pulled back. "Crabbe, you have a lot to learn. So sit, and watch."

Fave ~ Share ~ Comment ~ follow for updates ~ Enjoy!

xX Matilda Xx