013

DRACO
"The forest? I thought that was a joke?"
So many plans were held between bounded leather with notes, images and samples. It was a work that Draco admired, and now McGonagall was surprised by his commitment. Many weeks had been filled with the effort provided by Draco, and she was well surprised about how something so rare had really helped him work to his true potential.

Although the book was in her hands and her calming eyes gliding over the papyrus pages, Snape peered over her shoulder slightly with arms firmly crossed and a scowl permanently printed on his face.

The final page was Draco's favourite by far as in the middle was a water-coloured emerald stone that pivoted around slowly, light escaping from each angle. It was tricky getting a creative student to provide such art, but nonetheless, pleased Draco as it returned many beautiful memories.

He wasn't the only one who fell in love with the emerald, as a sharp breath was taken by McGonagall, and Snape's rigid stance softened by the smallest amount. It was a positive reaction, no doubt. And it filled Draco with relief.

"The emerald" McGonagall commented. "Professor Snape, what does the emerald signify?"

"Hope... Prophecy.... Calming minds, and..." with a clipped voice, he drew out the last word. "Love." A brow was lifted as suspicious was clouding his eyes. Snape was no blind man, he knew of what occurred within the walls of the school, and especially when it included Slytherin students, especially the Head boy. He had most likely heard of his sudden relationship with a Gryffindor girl.

"I believe you are taking Miss Granger?" McGonagall asked, and Draco gave one firm nod of his head. "Well this is beautiful, Mr Malfoy. You're true potential has evolved in this. A personal opinion of mine is that I believe Miss Granger is doing many wonders with you. You're being the good man you want to be."

Draco briefly nodded his head, realisation foggy his mind that he has been changing since being so set on impressing Hermione. With the gifts, the kiss, the lack of rebellious acts and appearing so dedicated to the Ball was something he never saw himself doing. He was well aware of the responsibilities of being Head Boy, but he had automatically dismissed the expectations as soon as the badge was firmly fixed onto his robe. But instead, he grew into his position without any intention, all because of one specific, beautiful and smart girl.

Leaving the quarters, Draco strode towards the Library and into the small nook where Hermione was curled up, nose buried in the familiar spells book. Her dark eyes flicked upwards as soon as Draco stopped to loom in the entrance but a smirk forming on both of their lips.

"Follow me" Draco quickly ordered, turning to quickly stride back out of the room. He heard Hermione gather her belongings into her satchel and skipped up to his side once in the halls. Draco entwined his hand into hers and led her along, the wind whistling past their ears from their quick, light movement. They could've been walking on air at their speed. Nothing was stopping them, not even the younger years that gave they shy, suspicious glances.

Hermione would have normally curled away from prying eyes and buried herself in her book, or Draco would've snarled and scare the magic out of them. Instead, the two gave no acknowledgement to the children and continued to keep their minds on each other.

Down through the courtyard and down towards black lake, the sun was lightly beginning to set. They slowed to a stop on the rocks and took a spot under a tree, leaning against the trunk and letting the atmosphere sink into their skin.

Draco drew circles into Hermione's hand and her head rested on his shoulder. They were silent and settled, not daring to speak a word and spoil their calming moment.

"Promise you won't leave me" Draco whispered, almost gripping onto Hermione like she was the only hope left in the world. Heck, she was the only hope left in the world for him. With no one knowing his next move and his own fear of opening up to anyone, he was left alone. But when Hermione came along, Draco did nothing but agree to McGonagall as everything she said was the base of the truth.

Hermione was the best thing that happened to Draco, and he was too scared to lose her.

Draco twisted the ring around his finger that was silver and thick with an 'M' pressed into the top. His father gave it to him when he became head boy, and he had not removed it since.

This was the first time he took it off, and it slid off his knuckle smoothly without the need to battle with the small hoop. The ring was placed gently into Hermione's open palm which Draco easily opened, then closed as her fingers wound their way around the jewellery.

"Take care of it" Draco whispered, clutching on her fist. "It is a family ring that is commonly given to the ones they love or greatly care about."

Hermione had nothing to say apart from reopen her palm and admired the intricate handwork that had been applied to such a small, yet valuable object. But nonetheless, she slipped it onto her own finger with it fitting perfectly. She held it close to her heart and grinned up at Draco, her heart burning with the intensity of the affection they shared.

"Forever and always, Malfoy. Forever and Always."

Authors Note:

Authors Note:

1k my lovelies! A small yet significant milestone and I am bouncing off walls! About an hour ago, I saw that the book was on 998 reads and within moments, it was 1k! I am so excited and happy and - ugh! I just can't find the words to explain it!

This chapter is short but really adorable, to be honest. I really felt so warm and fuzzy writing this and now re-reading it. Let' get this chapter to 40 reads and I'll update!

I hope you like it too and don't forget to tell me if you like it! So fave, comment and share the hell out of it! also don't forget to follow me for updates about anything and also add this to your library so you get updates for when there is a new chapter.

Love,

Matilda