008

HERMIONE

"Well if you're counting the one where you tripped over your own feet and knocked the wand out of my hand."

Through the halls of the school during the week, Hermione was grinning from ear to ear. Of course, she had to hide it behind her books and drop her giddy attitude whenever Harry or Ron or even Ginny would interact with her. As soon as they were gone, the smile would somehow find its way back onto her lips.

One afternoon instead of attending Gryffindor's training, Hermione made her way towards the library with a pile of books in hand. The gift from Draco was amongst her collection, a small reminder of the Hogsmead date.

It technically wasn't a date, but the feelings that she developed within that small space of time spoke loudly enough that it was a date. Adding the gifts and protection, it was turning out to be very hard to denying the facts.

Draco liked Hermione.

And she began finding a soft spot for him, herself.

Making a direct route to her little corner, she found a familiar face in her spot: Draco. He held his head in his hands with papers and expensive looking trinkets around him. It was chaos, and was taking its toll on Draco.

Hermione tip toed up to him and took a seat, his hands falling slowly to see her. She gave him a small sympathetic smile that seemed to ease the tension that his body held.

"Hey" she said, Draco replying with the same thing. Eyeing the papers and the mess in front of him, it was for the Slytherin Ball that was only less than three weeks away. By the looks of it, there was still a lot to do for Draco.

Catching her gaze sliding over his plans, Draco sighed and placed his head back into his hands. Just thinking about it caused a migraine, and Hermione could see it.

"It's so hard" Draco said solemnly. It was almost pained and had the same effect on Hermione, but all she could do was listen. "There's too much at stake. If I copy another idea, then there'll be consequences. If I don't have plans at all, the tradition will be done for. I have nothing to do."

Basic schooling and magic knowledge was everything that Hermione knew, but nothing that she was told, taught or read in her past eighteen years could prepare her for this one question: How can she help Draco?

She went through books and books that she had read and small little tricks that she had picked up from those disastrous Weasley twins. Nothing seemed fitting for a Ball Theme, let alone inspire anything. It was either too expected, too common, or too strange.

But one thing stopped her thoughts, an article from the one time she read Luna Lovegood's magazine. The one time she read the estranged book, and she had learnt something useful. Never in one million years would Hermione have found it useful for something so important. When yet, she was sitting there with the brilliant idea bubbling in her mind.

"Give me your hand" Hermione ordered, taking Draco's into her own.

His was icy cold like his porcelain skin, whilst hers was warm and welcoming with her sun-kissed skin. It was a great comparison, but still let a small smile onto Hermione's lips.

The spell was muttered under her breath with their hands tightly entwined. The buzzing was felt by both of them, a smirk on Hermione's lips whilst Draco watched closely, awe stricken in his eyes. When Hermione stopped the spell and removed her hand, he wished she could've held onto it for a little while longer, but knew that it would soon return.

Unexpectedly, a crystal was in the palm of Draco's palm, shedding green rays of light onto their faces and their surroundings. The pair were both hypnotised by the way the light danced off it and the power that it held within it's core. Whilst Draco drew inspiration, Hermione was shocked that it worked. She must make a note to than Luna, later.

"Crystals..." Draco murmured, turning abruptly to the notes behind him. he placed the crystal onto the table delicately but flipped through the pages and trinkets without a fear of them ripping or breaking. It was almost a compliment in Hermione's eyes.

It was a revelation. There had been no past Balls based around the idea of crystals, and it was surely the first time that I was introduced. The air was filled with electricity as Draco literally swept Hermione off her feet, and spun her around with the biggest smile she had ever seen.

They both were happy, even though the space was small and crammed. Draco had finally found something for the Ball and Hermione held the key.

Maybe she held the key to more than one thing related to Draco.

Her feet were finally placed back onto the ground with spots dancing in her line of vision, but not even that could drag the smile off her face. Seeing Draco happy made her happy, too. It was like finally seeing a sad person smile, or finally getting a perfect score on a test. The moment was too blissful to destroy.

"I can't believe it" Draco whispered, lifting the crystal in his hands. "We finally have it."

Hermione laughed and placed her hand on Draco's shoulder, staring into the Crystal, almost looking for the future that they both desired. "Do you know what type of crystal it is?"

Crystals weren't things that Draco was familiar with. He had bummed out in classes for too long, and it had finally landed upon him that maybe it was time he should. It could allow him to finally answer Hermione's trivial questions and maybe even get up to her ranks.

Sheepishly, he shook his head.

It was lucky that he said no, as Hermione could picture how it would turn out. it was considered cliché and 'very-much-a-rom-com' result, but she couldn't help but try to follow her vision.

"Emerald – the stone of successful love."

With a smile, she dreamily looked at Draco's eyes, spotting flecks of green beginning to slips its way through the vast greyness of his irises.

And they were dancing.

Authors Note:

So sorry for the late update! I had retreat for the past 3 days and couldn't take my laptop with me, and I was so busy after school as I had so much work to do - perks of being in Year 12! But I always promise to never leave you all stranded!

I LOVE all of those stone meanings and the healing powers they have - so I just had to put it in. I have a moon stone at the moment that I always keep with myself, and I have some others that I occasionally wear out. I used to have a sun stone from Annecy (Best place ever - A place that you definitely must visit!) but it was stolen at a hockey game... *Sniffling*. Comment what stones you have if you have any and what they're powers are!

Don't forget to Fave, share and follow/add to your library so you know when It's updated!

xX Matilda Xx