Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Prologue

I was freaking ready.

I could just see it.

I envisioned myself standing in the Shadow Hunters Pack, donned in their signature black skins, fighting alongside-

"Aella." Finely boned fingers wrapped around my bicep. "You can't go."

I gently shrugged her hand away. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, but it was inevitable. Facing her, I silently traced her delicate features. They were the same features I bore as my own. Her eyes were a shimmering splash of green hues and blue shades, a beautiful azure mess. They were our best features, especially against our golden skin from too much time training under the sun. Our hair was a blue-black shade and ridiculously silky straight, it was almost impossible to curl it.

When I stole a glance of Ma, the beginnings of crowfeet lined the corner of her eyes, and I instantly felt a twist of guilt for not telling her sooner. I had been too selfish. Too greedy. Too focused on the end goal without thinking about the whole process.

But I wanted to do this.

I had to.

"I have to do this Ma. They're not going to stop disrespecting us unless we do something about it. Are we supposed to live in this hell forever? We're not doormats. We're Pack members. We have every right to be treated just as equally as the rest of them." I said softy but just as fiercely so she would understand my point.

I was fed up with our treatment. I wanted a better life for us two. It was the same spiel I gave her each time I became frustrated with our lives but this time, I finally had done something about it. I regretted not telling her sooner with the encounter with the Scout, but I knew that if I told her, she would've tried to convince me out of it. I was tempted to ignore the Scout's offer, but something had happened when he spoke with me in the forest.

I wanted more for us. I desperately wanted a way out and the Scout was offering it to me on a silver platter. The choice had been too good to ignore.

Yet, hesitation still clung onto her delicate features, "I only worry for your safety Aella. The Shadow Hunters are savage. I don't want them anywhere near you. You've heard the rumours."

"But that's only what they are," I grinned, "Rumours." I attempted to lighten up the mood.

Ma rolled her eyes, or at least, did her version of it. The light reluctantly returned to her face, making her appear younger for a split second, "Your smart-ass comments will get you into trouble. I swear I lose hair each time you leave this flat."

The earlier guilt I pushed back came rushing back to the surface and I sighed, relenting a nod. "You're right. Sometimes I get carried away, but I promise you that I'll look after myself and I may even try using a filter for once." I grinned, "Maybe."

I didn't like to lie but I knew myself well enough to know that I was prone to verbal diarrhoea.

A hesitant smile unfurled upon her lips, "I just want you safe Aella. Nothing else. Just refrain from getting into fights. I can still remember your first day in Preschool. Your tiny little knuckles came back pink and scratched from making punching bags out of Alpha Bennett's sons."

I winced, clearly remembering the scenario in my head. I also remembered them crying. Loudly. They had told the whole playground of kids with big, fat crocodile tears rolling down their then plump cheeks, hoping to raise a crowd against me- wannabe coup d'etat fuckers. I silently laughed at the memory. The Bennett twins and I have grown but our dynamic remained the same. At the end of the day, we still didn't like each other. "They deserved it." I muttered, walking to the other side of our flat to my packed suitcase.