Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

3. Alpha Ass, I mean Alpha Slater

I stuffed up.

Momentously.

It was one of those times you wished you had a time-machine, so you'd go back in time and prevent your past-self from making your future-self look like a complete ass.

How did I miss his scent?

It was potent.

His presence itself was overwhelming.

Before I could get a word out, more men emerged from the murky silhouette cast from the rocking trees. There were seven of them in total and they looked freaking scary as they prowled closer in one accord like they'd specifically rehearsed for this moment. They ambled along, muscles flexing and gazes searching as they quietly scouted the area. They barely made noise as their combat boots flattened the grass.

These men, no doubt, were the Elite Syndicate's main men- the seven men who always kept close to the Alpha. In the mix, I was surprised to spot a grim-faced Jamison but there was no sign of a smiling Luka in sight.

"Give me your name girl." Alpha Slater ordered in that gravelly baritone of his.

For some reason, his voice elicited a dose of self-consciousness within me. I dashed away the abrupt feeling, slightly baffled by the incongruous emotion and held his searching gaze. "You really don't need to know that." I whispered, searching for an exit route.

How could I be so stupid?

His eyes did a slow, lazy sweep of me from toe to head. When his languid gaze met mine, nothing visible changed in his expression except for the slow blink he did. "Little girls shouldn't be wandering around alone at night." He warned, cocking his head to the side. The small shift should've been arrogant but there was something about him that didn't quite meet the haughty factor.

I clenched my jaw, refusing to bite.

This Alpha Slater sorely lacked in the fun and happy criteria of life.

"So, you're the Alpha Slater?" I asked, just to be sure.

He nodded, quiet and still assessing me with distrust.

The lingering silence would've made anyone shift in discomfort, but silence was my comfort zone. Even when I trained, silence was my comforter. So Alpha Slater being on the quiet side was to my favour. I was expecting a macho man who threw out angry bellows to everyone just for the thrill of being the Alpha, but he surprised me with his quiet manner, despite his aggressive bloodline.

"What the- can someone explain this?"

My attention flew to a man sporting a thick, untamed russet beard. His hair was cropped closely to his head and his right brow was embellished with three black balls. He crouched in front of the dead changeling and the atmosphere took a noticeable turn as everyone's attention finally acknowledged the dead wolf at our feet.

"I killed him." I admitted. There was no point in lying since Alpha Slater already caught me plucking the stars from its body.

Who knew how long he'd been watching me.

Genuine surprise lined his features. "You killed it?" Russet beard guy asked warily.

I felt their curious gazes on me all at once as I confirmed his question, "I sensed him coming towards me. His purpose was ill, and I struck him down with these." I flashed the blood-covered metal in my palm. Warm blood trickled between my fingers, dripping against my boots in dull thumps. I inwardly grimaced but held it up so they could see the evidence.