Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

4. Only The Start

"Follow me." Jamison issued the grim order, expecting me to follow. I was not dumb to start mouthing off, well, mouth off more than I already have. I was still working on that particular trait. Yet, now, I was more curious to see where he would take us. It was the only reason I found my feet shadowing his tracks.

It was my first time in the Pack House. It was spacious, airy, and smelt of sandalwood and a faint lingering of smoked charcoal. It was kept clean and the only disarray I found was the crooked bohemian mat sprawled on the lounge floor, with an thick book splayed in front of the empty fireplace.

"Today, I'm the main E.S Enforcer stationed here. What we do is make ourselves obscure. You, even more so. You shadow me and watch closely. Don't speak to the Alpha unless he commences a conversation with you. Better yet, don't even look in his direction Recruit." He raised a solemn brow, hammering in his expectation. His pointed gaze would've made another changeling shrink back on themselves, but I just offered a slow nod.

I was soon going to run out of fingers to count the amount of times someone had warned me not to talk to the Alpha.

Would it be so bad to start a conversation with the man?

"Understood." I replied, taking in the rest of the high ceiling, with low dangling lights. The place was rustic and filled with both modern and antique furniture. Bargain hunters would go crazy if they encroached on this.

There was even a chime noise that tinkled from the hallway that rang when someone entered the premises. Jamison narrowed his eyes at me and mouthed a warning just as Alpha Slater himself made an appearance.

I tensed, wanting to fold into myself at his sudden appearance.

The Alpha himself paused at the threshold. For a split second, a very short second, I gave him a deliberate once-over. You couldn't blame me. Yes, there were rumours said that the man was scary, but I hadn't quite believed the gossip that spoke of his beauty.

Alpha Slater was not just sexy as sin, he was objectively handsome in a way that drew people in without words.

He spotted Jamison first, greeting him with a slight nod. Jamison returned one and headed out. Since I was his shadow, I began to follow him quietly, eyes cast down like an obedient Recruit.

"Stop."

I froze and shifted around so I was facing him as he sat down on a sofa, with the book that had been on the rug laying across his thighs. He wasn't looking at me but flicking through the yellow pages in a languid manner. Jamison paused too, narrowing his gaze as if he couldn't believe I was already in trouble.

"Yes, Alpha?" I asked patiently since he made no indication to continue. He simply turned the page of the book, letting the rustle of the paper fill in the silence.

"The incident last night, have you told anyone?" He asked, not peering up from the black letters sprawled across the single paper.

"No."

He nodded slowly, "Good. Now tell me, how did you really sense that changeling."

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"How did you sense that changeling?" He repeated stoically, placing the book down and staring right at me. The question caught me off-guard, especially with the way his eyes held bold accusation. I could feel his distrust flaring like a red, blaring light.

Was he insinuating that I was lying?

"I told you." I recited slowly, restraining the prickling anger in my chest under a layer of will-power, "It was like sensing a familiar changeling but not quite. If you can't hear or see it, you can feel it and my instincts are never wrong, especially on the imminent death bit. You'd be able to sense it too if you focused enough."