Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

5. Alarm Bell

I didn't train.

Although I did eventually settle into my assigned bedroom tucked away on the west wing of the Pack House, I wasn't happy. It wasn't like me to just simply accept something and move on. I would've made a ruckus but being on foreign ground made me uneasy. I missed Ma's hug. I craved one right now, but I had to remind myself of my purpose.

I discarded my pride, swallowed a healthy dose of modesty, and just went with it.

Ma always claimed I needed more humility in my life. She would be proud if she saw little ole' me following orders.

I just finished tugging on my combat boots, slipping one leg over the window ledge when the alarms began to squeal. The sound jerked me into motion. I cursed and threw myself back from the ledge, wondering if there was some type of alarm attached to the window frame. I frantically checked but there was nothing there. I should've checked first but I had been distracted-

Movement below caught my attention. I watched shadows zoom pass under the window ledge. They were there one second and gone in another. The only evidence that showed that they had been there were the rustling bushes they'd brushed by in their haste to escape.

"What the hell is going on-"

The door slammed open. Jamison stood there, framed in the hallway light. "Get up, there's been a break-in." He ordered, running a hand through his thick hair.

I froze, wondering if he could sense that I had been seconds away from hopping out the window, but he disappeared down the hall without another word. He didn't even question why I wasn't even asleep. It was small mercy.

Since I was already dressed, I followed him down the hall and outside where Alpha Slater stood, half-dressed and annoyed. His hair was dishevelled from sleep, and he was barefoot too. It was weird seeing him like this. On this rare occasion, he looked normal. Well almost, if you didn't stare too hard at the indecipherable gleam in his eyes that was part animalistic.

I noted his chains were missing from their usual place along his forearms.

When he caught sight of us, he immediately launched orders. "Emrys counts at least ten intruders in our land. I've already instructed the others to cover the North, West, and East boundary lines. I'll be in the North but you two will stay here and catch anyone who manages to surpass our second line of Enforcers."

Without another word, Alpha Slater was sprinting for the dark crest of the trees. He was just a dot in the distance when he shed his human skin and morphed into a....beast. I choked on my saliva and stared wide eyed at Jamison who just scowled down at my shocked expression.

"There's a reason why people shit themselves when they see him." Jamison drawled as if explaining himself to a child.

"B-but that thing was not normal." I retorted. He transformed into a size of a bear! That was not normal. Unless I'd underestimated the Shadow Hunters Pack and they all transformed into big, giant wolves.

"Alpha Slater is anything but normal."

"Well clearly." I gestured with my hands, making a wide shape.

Jamison simply arched a brow at my antics and shook his head like he couldn't believe he was stuck with me. Well, I couldn't believe I was stuck with him either, but I wasn't complaining covertly like he was. He made a show of making sure I knew that he didn't like me. It was safe to say that he would probably find himself in better company with a circus monkey.

"Look, you monitor the South side of the Pack House and I'll be in the North perimeter. Scream if you see something suspicious."

"Anything suspicious?" I smirked, my mind trailing off.