Chapter Seven

The next couple of hours flew by. Maybe because I was in la-la-land for most of them.

Tonight started the team competitions. So basketball, dodgeball and racquetball, all in the Rec Hall. There was one thing I was terrible at and that would be racquetball. I walk over to the sign up sheets and I find Heather. 

"What are you signing up for?" I ask.

"Nothing, I'm not good at any of these things..." she says, defeated. 

"Oh, I doubt that. You could do dodgeball!"

"Maybe... I don't know." Heather mumbles.

"Well that's not a no. Oh, and would you look at that," I say as I jot down her name and team name on a blank line, "It looks like Jackson is playing dodgeball too." I wink.

She nudges my arm with a 'shh-be-quiet' smile on her face.

I wrap my arm round her, "You'll do great, I promise."

"Okay... thanks Emily."

I give her a hug, "Anytime, okay?" I say. She nods in response and then walks off to meet some friends.

"Hey Em," I hear behind me. I turn around to see Erin.

I immediately grab her arm and pull her into an area of the lobby that was vacant from teenagers. On the way there, my eye catches Ryan's and he's smiling.

Butterflies. Instantly. Then I realize, he totally knows what I'm about to tell Erin. Shoot... oh well.

"What?!" Erin asks, slightly irritated.

"He held my hand." I spit out in a whisper.

She just stares at me like a kindergartner and her emotions go from irritated to elated. "WHAT."

I nod my head and smile. "When!?" she asks.

"He asked me to go out on a paddleboat with him--" I start and Erin jumps in with an "Awww!"

"Shh! He's right around the corner. But he's so great." I feel my face flush with redness, "You really like him?" Erin smiles back.

I bite the edge of my lip, mid smile as if I'm trying to hold it back, and I nod.

"Go for it, Em." She says grabbing my shoulders.

"Hey Emily!" someone interrupts from behind Erin, it's Mitch. 

"What's up?" I ask.

"Megan was wondering if you'd lead worship tomorrow before the counselor hunt?"

The counselor hunt is backwards like hide-and-seek. Two counselors from each team have ten minutes to hide within a certain barrier throughout the campground. Your team wants to keep their counselors hidden, while they also search for other teams counselors, to get team points.

"Wait, what?! How does she even know I sing?!" I ask confused and then it hits me. I slowly look up into Mitch's eyes and he's batting his eyelashes and smiling at me like a toddler. 

I punch him in the arm, "Mitch!" I say angrily. 

"That's my cue. See you later Em. Good luck Mitch." Erin walks away quickly.

"Ouch, that looked rough," I hear from behind me and I turn to see Ryan.

Mitch rubbing his left arm with a smirk on his face, "She's not a weakling, that's for sure."

"Why did you even tell Megan?!" I ask.

"She needed someone to sing with the band because the groups singer got the flu and can't, I may have mentioned that you're a great singer."