Chapter Eight

That night ended in a blur. I got back to the cabin and all of the girls were awake. Right as I entered the room, all eyes were on me and I was bombarded with question after question. I gaze over and give Erin the look. The look that says "I still love you, but you're about to die". She nodded her head and gave me the, "I said nothing," face.

"...What?" I asked as I walked in, towards my bed.

"Where were you?"
"What took you so long?"
"What were you doing?"

They all morphed into one and I fabricated the truth.
"I was talking with Megan... is that not allowed?" I asked. I kind of felt bad but I mean, I DID talk to Megan for a second...

They all immediately lost interest and went about their own conversations. I looked at Erin out of the corner of my eye, "Thanks," my relief expression told. I walked over to my bed and since the counselors are allowed to keep their phones, I looked down and saw 7 new messages. Two from Erin, two from Mitch, two from Sarah and last but certainly not least, one from Ryan.

"SO. WHERE WERE YOU REALLY?"

"Because I know you weren't with Megan for that long." Erin's messages read.

"... With Megan..." I replied.
"Bull. Where---"
"and Ryan!"

******

"What's going on with you and Ryan?"
"Because he's real interested in you." Mitch's messages read.

"What do you mean?" I text back, playing stupid.

His second message caught me off guard. Is Ryan talking to Mitch about me...? It kind of made my heart smile.
"Em, I'm not dumb. He likes you, are you interested?"
"... well... yeah. Actually, I really am."

*****
I expected Sarah's messages to be along the same lines but she was just wondering about tomorrow's schedule which consists of arts most of the day... my favorite.

I finally got the courage to open Ryan's text.
"Were you attacked with questions too?"
"Yes!" I responded.
"Maybe we should be more careful."
"I agree. Try and keep our distance for now... even if I don't want too. :) "
"I don't want to either but we should focus on the kids for now." He text back.

It didn't feel like that was a let-down, hearing that from him. It made me happy. It showed how much he cared for these kids and the relationship they grow with God.

"You're right. They're more important. Hey, I'm so exhausted. I'm already falling asleep."
"Oh, so I'm boring you, am I?" he replies.
"Absolutely." I sent back with a wink face.
"Okay, okay. I see how it is. Haha, goodnight Emily. See you in the morning."
"Good night Ryan" I reply with a smile, in the text and on my face.

I ignore the rest of the messages and go back to Erin's.

"Breakfast table, me, you. We gotta talk."

The next morning I felt refreshed. I, like the last couple of days, am the first one awake. So, in all my glory, I head straight to the light switch.

*flick* "Everyone up! Shower, brush your hair, teeth, whatever ya need to do. Let's get moving!" I smile.

I received 9 of the dirties looks ever, "You're joking right?" I hear from around the room.