Chapter Nine

No one said anything about what happened and I couldn't tell if it was something very serious or if it was minor. Erin and I followed Mitch to wherever Heather was.

We turned a corner into a conference room where Heather was sitting with Missy and Ryan.

"Heather.. what happened?" I asked sympathetically.

"I'm alright, I'm just an idiot. I legitimately tripped over my own two feet playing basketball. My ankle hurts so bad."

"She can't walk on it," Ryan spoke up.

"How did you get in here?" Erin asks.

"Ryan carried me in here, he was there when I fell," Heather replied.

I looked over at Ryan and mouthed "thank you." He surprises me constantly by how much he cares.

"Have you gotten ahold of the nurse?" I ask.

"She's on her way, she said she'd be here in twenty minutes. Some kid had an asthma attack, so she can't be here yet."

"Let me look for a first aid kid or something, I'll be back."

I walk over to the desk where they sell chips, candy, t-shirts and souvenir pens and find the employee.

"Hey! Do you have a first aid kit? Maybe crutches?" I ask, with a little laugh because he totally thinks I'm kidding on the last part.

"Yeah totally, well... on the first aid kit. I can look for something along the lines of crutches... is this person okay?"

"Oh! Yeah, she's fine! Most likely a sprain."

He hands me the first aid kit and I walk back to Heather.

"Hey, I found this. Let's see what's in it."

It's pretty large so I had high hopes it would include a compression wrap or something along those lines.

"Hey Erin can you go get a bag of ice?"

I open the kit and see exactly what I need.

"Okay, tell me if it hurts to move it okay?" I ask Heather.

I pick up her leg and stretch it out towards me, I place my hands on her ankle and grab just slightly and increase my pressure little by little to see how bad it is. I got two small squeezes in and she started flinching pretty bad.

"Ow!" Heather squeals. "Okay! Found where it hurts!"

Ryan is still standing by Heather, same with Missy. I reach for the wrap in the kit and started unrolling it when Erin came back with the ice.

"Awesome!" I grab it and place it on the end of the wrap and roll it up twice so the cold doesn't hurt her. I place that against her ankle and she flinches a little more.

"I'm sorry! I'm almost done."

"It's okay, I trust you Em." Heather reassures me.

"This may hurt a little too because I have to keep the wrap tight." I tell her.

I start wrapping around her ankle and under the heel of her foot. Every two turns around her ankle she flinches.

"And... done." I clasp the end of the wrap to keep it shut and just as I finish, in walks the nurse.

"Hi! I'm so sorry it took me so long to get here, where is Heather?" I slowly move over for the nurse to get a good look and she looked taken back, in a good way. "Wow, you did this?"

"...yes..." I respond.

"Ha! You didn't need me!" She laughs to herself.

"Oh.. well can you drive her back to the cabin?"