⑊ o n e ⑊

Harper was floating again

Harper was floating again. It wasn't the first time I had seen it, but it always took my breath away. She always made light of it (no pun intended), but it never failed to stop me in my tracks.

She was near the ceiling this time, sitting cross-legged in the air. Her short silver hair kept falling in front of her face as she leaned over, deep in the world of the book she was reading. Every few seconds she would pull the stray hairs behind her ear, only to have them fall again.

I smiled at the sight, then tapped the familiar rhythm on her window so she would know I was there. Harper looked up and grinned at me, then spread her arms out wide as she began to glide towards me. Once she was in position, she sat in the air and put her hands beneath her to descend. Soon she was sitting on her bed, and lifted the window

"Blu!" She tried to look cheerful, but I could see the frustration and loneliness behind her smile.

I smiled back, clambering awkwardly onto her bed. "Hey, Harpsichord. Sure would be easier to get in here if I could fly like you."

She laughed her slightly amused laugh, a high throaty sound, but her real laugh came from deep within her stomach, and I hadn't heard it in a long while. "Its been awhile since you've called me that, Blue Cheese."

"Hate the stuff," my face twisted into a disgusted expression. "How's school?"

"Changing the subject I see," Harper laughed again, but then sighed, her happy expression fading. "Only you would ask that. Why do you care about school anyway?"

I studied her words for a moment. She changed the subject herself, telling me that she must have been upset about something. "Did you do badly on your Physics test again?"

She grimaced, answering my question before even opening her mouth. "I don't like Physics."

"No, you don't understand it," I corrected, grabbing her textbook off of her shelf. "Once you do, you'll like it, I promise."

"No I won't!" She protested. "I just don't like it; there's nothing wrong with that!"

"I'll teach you how to understand it, and if you don't like it by the time we're done, you win," I replied thoughtfully.

"Why do you have to make everything into a challenge?" Harper mock groaned. "Fine...but what do I win?"

I am already making a list; one of my habits. "Hmm let's see...bragging rights, a homemade plate of brownies, and an apology card from me."

"Not the lists! Anything but the lists!" She covered her face with her hands. "But add a pizza and you've got yourself a deal."