⑊ s e v e n ⑊

I was crushed

I was crushed. Absolutely and utterly crushed. Harper's word stunned me, and I sat in silence for a long long time, not daring to speak.

"Why?" The word was spoken with a shuddering breath that held my heart back from shattering.

The unreadable expression on Harper's face was replaced with a tortured look, one she tried to mask but was unsuccessful.

"You're in danger because of me," she choked out, her bottom lip quavering despite the enormous effort she was making to hold back the tears that were threatening to spill from her eyes. "I'm sorry, Blu."

I moved closer and placed my hand gently on her shoulder. "Harper you're not-"

"Don't!" She flinched away and hugged her knees to her chest, rising a few feet in her agitation. "Please don't make it harder for me!"

"You don't have to-" I began again."

"Leave!" She was just mere inches from the ceiling now, but she was aware and glided over to the corner of her room. "Please Blu...I can't stand to hurt you any longer."

Stung by her passionate words, I gathered what was left of my shattered heart and climbed out her window, nearly slipping several times.

How could I make her understand? How could I make her see that she wasn't meant to be alone? My thoughts tossed like waves in a storm or like the rumbling thunder after the striking lightning.

After a long while of this, I finally decided to call Finn. I held the card and stared at the ten digits with a slight apprehension. Harper was afraid of hurting me, but she wasn't afraid of hurting Finn. He was practically indestructible.

I finally dialed and hit call, the line ringing ominously. After about three rings, he picked up.

"Hey kid," the familiar rough voice calmed me, and I relaxed a bit. "What's the word?"

"Its Harper," I sighed. "She's pushing me away, saying that I'm in danger because of her. That may be true, but she needs someone to watch over her. What if she was kidnapped again?"

"Smart boy," I heard the grim smile in Finn's voice. "I'll be around, watching and waiting. I'll keep in touch."

With that the line clicked dead, and I was left alone again. However I soon snapped out of my daze, realizing that my textbooks were calling my name. It was finals week, the end of the year, and I still had a lot of studying to do.

But even I, the studious one, hated studying for finals. Time for torture I guess.

• ⑊ •