⑊ f i v e ⑊

Waking up with a dagger at your throat is exactly as terrifying as it sounds

Waking up with a dagger at your throat is exactly as terrifying as it sounds. It was the dead of night, the time when you are so sound asleep that you think your dreams are reality. In the blink of an eye, I was plunged from that reality when old steel was pressed against the soft flesh of my neck.

"Don't move," a gravely voice whispered harshly.

As if I would, I internally scoffed, and then wondered at my current predicament. This is a secure facility...who could break in?

As if reading my thoughts, the stranger chuckled dryly and released pressure on the knife. "It isn't easy kid, but I've been doing it a long time."

"Doing what?" I asked. He couldn't have guessed what I was thinking...

"Breaking in here," I saw his shadowy form shrug in the meager light from the windows. "And yes I can tell what you're thinking. I'm a mind reader."

"What?" I raised my voice, even more confused. I was still groggy, and shifted slightly to rub my hands over my face and neck. "Where did you come from!"

"The place you were supposed to train at," he replied. "Or at least your companion over there. But now that plan has changed, and we have to break you out of here."

"Harper's been training," I being excitedly. "We were planning an escape-"

"That's great kid, now shut up and follow me. Remember, I'm the expert at these things, so don't try anything stupid," he interrupted and stepped soundlessly over to Harper.

She snapped awake as soon as he approached her bed, and he jumped back a little, obviously not expecting it.

"Hmm, you're more alert than I thought you'd be," he admitted.

"Oh no..." She closed her eyes and groaned. "What now?"

"I'm here to get you out of here," the man said, much straighter to the point than he had been with me.

"But...what?" she appeared as confused as me. "Who are you?"

"First time you asked me that," he snorted, giving me a pointed look. "The name's Finn, mind reader. AAA sent me here to recover our "stolen goods"; in other words you two."

Harper and I exchanged a glance in the dark, but I saw Finn watching us. His eyesight in the dark was probably much better than ours, as we'd both just woken up.

"Do you have a badge?" I asked suddenly. "Because Mr. Wright had one-"

"Of course he did." I suspected Finn was trying to whisper under his breath, but I certainly heard him. "Getting more 'official' every day. Did he tell you he was part of a top secret government project too?"

"Actually...yes," I admitted shamefully. It sounded so naive when I thought about it.

Finn shopping his head and sighed. "We've got a lot of work to do on you kids. But for now, let's just get out of here."