⑊ t e n ⑊

Harper and I gazed up at the tree and the well made treehouse among its green leaves

Harper and I gazed up at the tree and the well made treehouse among its green leaves. My father made it for is when we were about eight years old, and we'd enjoyed playing in it nearly every day since then, until about this past year.

We ascended the rope ladder, - or rather I did - Harper floated to the top, laughing at my efforts. I refused a gravitational boost, however. She had improved so much with her training that once inside she switched the gravity to be upside down. Let me say, it was quite a peculiar experience, but we both quite enjoyed it.

We had decided to spend the night up there with Jax for Harper's 18th birthday. Mine was in a few days.

Harper brought up a string of lights and pictures from when we were young. We poured over the photos, laughing and talked a great deal after midnight. That was the night that I finally knew Harper felt safe. And strangely, so did I. Jax finally turned over and was still; but Harper and I lay awake.

"I'm glad we're neighbors," she whispered suddenly. "If we weren't I wouldn't have known you and I probably wouldn't have gotten out of there and-"

"Harper," I interrupted. "We're more than just neighbors. You don't have to think about "what would have happened", because it won't. We're here now, and we're together."

"You're right," she turned over, a smile on her face.

I sighed contentedly and looked up at the stars. They were my compass - Harper and I had studied the stars as well - reminded me that I would always find my way back home.

And guess what? I did.

• ⑊ •

Sunlight filtered through the green leaves, slowly bringing me out of a deep slumber.

"Let's go!" Jax was ready awake, rolling his sleeping bag up quickly.

I laughed and began packing up as Harper groaned in mock anger."Fine. I'm up, I'm up..."

We took Jax to meet Finn and director Schemanske, which went very well. The director was happy to meet him and show him around, while Finn talked to him for awhile. Harper and I discussed further plans for the project with Mr. Schemanske as well, and we were quite satisfied with how things were progressing

"So how was school in London?" Harper asked eagerly as we pulled away from AAA. We were driving Jax to his house.

"Fine," Jax shrugged, avoiding our gazes. His tone was tight and his voice was a bit wavery.

Harper and I had both managed to avoid asking him many things about school or his father the night before knowing how sensitive he was about it, but now we were both itching to find out what he was so upset about.