The boy

Day 1

I am going to a new school!  I'm trying something new this year.  I'm going to try to be optimistic about things so I don't stress mom out.  It's just the two of us now. 

She looks really tired. We are going on a 48 hour trip to a town called Ssuz. Said to be isolated. It's weird and I don't really know how to pronounce it.  Weird huh? 

The sun is setting and it is shining around moms head making her blonde hair look gold.  There are bags under her eyes and her small hands are squeezing the steering wheel tightly making her knuckles turn white. 

Mom is only tired... She's not depressed.  Neither am I. Sure we left dad, but that only means we have room for ourselves. Not a giant baby who threw fits all the time. 

She will heal in time.  She's just tired.  She just needs rest.  That's all. 

"Mom? " I say grabbing her shoulder.  She blinks and snaps back to life as if she were in deep thought...

"Yes Sam? " she replies slowly..

"Pull over... I'll drive" I say.  She nods in response.  Yes I'm old enough to drive.  I'm 18. I left my senior year.  She pulled over on the side of the road.

I opened my door and got out and went to her side.  She went over the middle into the passengers seat.  I got in and we both buckled. 

I pulled back over into my lane and began to drive the rest of the way.  I took a quick glance back at her.  She was fast asleep. 

I was driving for a few hours and stopped at a red light. The sun began to rise.  I didn't sleep at all.  Mom was still knocked out cold. I starred at her.  She was sickly pale.  I felt bad.  I stared at the red light.  Just waiting.  Something felt off.  I looked to my right to see a swerving car. 

Speeding, the speed limit was 45. I couldn't comprehend how fast he was truly going. He swerved and slammed right into the drivers side. 

Sending both cars flipping down the intersection.  As the car rolled I hit my knee and shoulder.  Then my head.  Everything went blank. 

When I woke up, feeling really dizzy, heavy.  I had no idea what had happened.  My head hurt. 

A nurse in a pink uniform came up to me.  She smiled softly with sadness in her eyes. 

"Weres my mother?! " I choked.  My heart swelled and I clenched the white sheets tightly.  Her eyes widened.  Her mouth opened then shut then opened again. 

"...your mother is in a coma... She most likely won't make it... I'm so sorry" she said.  Her eyes teared up.  Tears poured down my face. 

"She'll make it. " I said.  More than sure. 

Day 2

I held my mothers hand and starred at her pale face. 

How could this have happened?  Why did this happen to us of all people?  Screw being optimistic.  This was the worst day of my life. 

My thoughts were interrupted by a very long beep.  My heart stopped as doctors rushed in and pulled me out of the room. My eyes stayed glued on my mother.

This can't be happening.  This isn't happening.  I'll wake up. It's just a dream.

It's all a lie. 

She's alive and we are still driving down that road.  We are on the way to our new home.  She's healthy and is alive. 

The doctors came out. 

"I'm so sorry for your loss.. I'm so sorry" they left bowing there head.  My eyes widened in fear.  No... No..

"NOOOOO!!!!!! " I let out a screach and fell to the floor.  Starring at the floor I kept screaming.  It's all a lie.  Tear drops poored onto my hands as I squeezed my fist's together. Blood trickling from my fists as I dug my nails in my palms. I kept screaming and didn't stop, I couldn't.  She's not dead!!!  She can't be.. This... Isn't real.  It can't be real...