Chapter 19

trigger warning for anxiety and PTSD/ASD (better safe than sorry)

--//--

That Friday, Lauren stepped inside her apartment, feeling a wave of relief wash over her just from finally being out of the hospital and back to her own space. Smiling, she held the door open for Camila, who was carrying both their bags.

"Thanks, babe." Camila stepped through the doorway herself, leaning into Lauren for a quick peck.

Lauren wasn't one to miss an opportunity, though. The moment Camila's lips touched hers, she reached for the back of her girlfriend's neck, holding her in place to keep her from pulling back like Lauren knew she would have done. Camila smiled into the kiss, which in turn made Lauren smile, and soon they were just grinning against each other's mouths.

(Really, based on the amount of times this happened, Lauren should have seen it coming.)

"You're very welcome." Lauren laughed, opening her eyes and pulling back, just to see Camila beaming at her. Her heart did a backflip at her girlfriend's expression, and she couldn't help but mirror it. "I should be the one thanking you anyway."

Camila rolled her eyes fondly, her smile intact, and closed the door behind her before resting the bags on their kitchen counter.

"It's no big deal, Lo, just some clothes and weights." Camila said as she kicked off her shoes and left them by the counter, her back facing Lauren.

She could hear the amusement in Camila's voice, but before the brown eyed girl could turn to look at her, Lauren hugged her small frame. Camila was startled at first, but as soon as Lauren kissed her jaw she relaxed into her hold, her back sinking into the Latina's front.

"I wasn't only talking about the bags." Lauren muttered. "You've been going out of your way to be with me and help me even with how busy you are again, and I really appreciate it."

Camila was silent for a second, but then she turned in Lauren's embrace, wrapping her arms around the taller girl's neck. Her smile was softer now, like warm sunshine during sunset after the early afternoon's strong, burning rays of light.

"Again, no big deal." Camila's voice was soothing as she ran one hand lovingly through Lauren's hair.

She'd been doing that a lot since Lauren's bandages were removed, always careful to only touch her right side and stay away from the stitches on the left. Even though everyone being hesitant to touch Lauren still annoyed her a little, Camila's carefulness and caution had become endearing, especially after the young actress started getting more comfortable with hugs and kisses. Now that she didn't treat Lauren like she was gonna break, the gentleness in her touch only made Lauren appreciate her even more, her heart swelling with affection each time she was gifted one of Camila's soft caresses.

"I love you." Lauren said, receiving a grin in response.

She didn't give Camila time to verbally reply before leaning in and capturing her girlfriend's lips with her own more passionately than before. Camila kissed back eagerly and Lauren saw that as green light to deepen it, her heart beating faster already. But when Camila lightly pulled on her bottom lip, Lauren's hold on her tightened, and in turn Camila grabbed a fistful of her hair on the nape of her neck.

Camila knew Lauren loved when she did that and two weeks ago, Lauren would have loved the move. But alas, reality came barging back into her mind, quite literally, when her head started aching.

At first Lauren just ignored it as usual, but the more she did so the stronger it grew, especially with how the green eyed girl got rougher and rougher with her actions, as if to prove a point.