sexual assault | let's talk about it

(s/o to probonos for this amazing gif for my rants!)in which we have a serious discussion about a very serious topic

in which we have a serious discussion about a very serious topic.

Sexual assault, as you may know, is very very serious. A touchy subject but a very important one. It's important that we educate youth about what sexual assault is, how to identify a situation or a victim, and that it is NOT OKAY. Unfortunately, it's not taken as seriously as it should be. Overall, victims of sexual assault don't always get the justice and the respect from law enforcement they deserve.

  This is more common among females, so much so that people tend to forget men are often victims of sexual assault. Many don't realize that it happens to them and don't take them seriously. This needs to stop. A victim of sexual assault, of any gender; race; religion; or sexuality, should be taken seriously and should be treated with some respect from their peers and law enforcement, they've been disrespected enough already.

  I genuinely do not care who you are, what you have going for yourself or how respected you are in society. Sexual assault is sexual assault, an act that is inexcusable. President of the United States, Stanford Swimmer, Racist French Officers, I don't care about your place in your society, you're a disgusting human being.

  One thing I will tell you is that the clothes you wear does not give anyone the excuse to sexually assault you. I don't want any of you to think that showing some skin suddenly makes you a sexualized object open for business. People genuinely use someone's choice of clothing as an excuse for assaulting them. I've said it so many times and I'll say it again: NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO SUFFER BECAUSE YOU CANNOT CONTROL YOUR SEXUAL URGES.

  Another thing people don't understand is that just because two people are in a relationship doesn't mean sexual assault can not occur. NO MEANS NO. Do not ever think because you are in a relationship that it's okay for your partner to sexually assault you. It is not.

  Here are some statistics from Sexassault.ca which is a Canadian site on sexual assault (copy and pasted, I was going to only pick out a few but all of them are shocking and should be known)

-Of every 100 incidents of sexual assault, only 6 are reported to the police
-1 - 2% of "date rape" sexual assaults are reported to the police
-1 in 4 North American women will be sexually assaulted during their lifetime
-11% of women have physical injury resulting for sexual assault
-Only 2 - 4% of all sexual assaults reported are false reports
-60% of sexual abuse/assault victims are under the age of 17
-over 80% of sex crime victims are women
-80% of sexual assault incidents occur in the home
-17% of girls under 16 have experienced some form of incest
-83% of disabled women will be sexual assaulted during their lifetime
-15% of sexual assault victims are boys under 16
-half of all sexual offenders are married or in long term relationships
-57% of aboriginal women have been sexually abused
-1/5th of all sexual assaults involve a weapon of some sort
-80% of assailants are friends and family of the victim

  Each victim deserves justice. If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted or abused, you can call (1) 800-656-HOPE (4673).

  Always remember, you and your body matters. Never think otherwise. In a lot of cases, many don't come forward. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I am always here, even just to listen. I know people who have been sexually assaulted and have seen how it impacts their entire life. We need to start fighting for them, fighting for justice. We need to teach people to respect others and their bodies, to never violate anyone in any way. We need to teach them how to report an assault and what procedures are taken. We need to educate the present to change our future in which we respect others and their bodies.