wedding plans

Aubrey Bell
-
The ring seemed to weigh down my whole body.
Every time I looked at the glistening dimond, I felt sick. This is what my life is going to become and there aren't any loop holes to try an escape out of.

I push the blanket of off me, letting the cool air touch over my legs, then tiptoe up my arms. The sun shinned through  my window, creating a sense of peace within me.

There was a light knock on my door, and before I can answer, it opened. My father peaked his head in, then slowly walked in. He held his hands behind his back, his gray suit jacket unbutton.
Sometimes I wondered if he owned anything besides suits...

"Good morning Aubrey. " his lips pulled into a small smile.
I didn't reply.

"Well, I have work and won't be back until late."
I didn't reply.

"You can't stay upset forever."
Silence.

"Aubrey!"
"You just threw me away!"
"I did no such thing."

"You didn't even ask me how I felt about this. I am engaged to man I don't even like. But you wouldn't care." I walked past him and to my bathroom.

" I have no choice. Is this my life or yours?"
"You stop it right now."
"I hate him!" I yell.

"You don't even know him."
"That's the whole point, father!"
"You are going over there today. Wedding planning day. Maybe it would be a good time to get to know him. I don't want to hear anothor word about it."

I sigh.
Does he even hear me?
-
"So, do you have your colors?" the wedding planner asked.
Ana. That was her name.

"Yes. Black and Grey, so I can call it my funeral. "
"Oh..." Ana replied.

"No," Carter stepped in, "gold and peach."
"Okay." she scribbled it down.
Did he say peach? Such a pretty color.

"Do you have a location? Inside? A beach?" she smiled up at Carter.
"The morgue."

"Inside Garden." Carter answered.
That would be beautiful.

"Okay. And type of flower?"
"Anything dead, to represent-"
"That is it!"
Carter got on iron grip on my upper arm, pulling me out of his living room and into the hall.

"What the hell is your problem?!" his anger rolled off of him, his body pressed flush against mine.

I held up my left hand, "this is the problem."  the diamond gleamed, even in the dim light of the hallway.

"You think I want to marry some boring, insecure, crybaby like you? Hell no! But, guess what? I am going to put up with it, and so are you. So shut up and help me plan."
He dragged me back out, the couch felt softer this time, even as he threw me down.

He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer.
Ana asked question after question and Carter answered, occasionally asking if that was okay with me.

I had consumed 3 cups of tea and 1 and a half muffins by the time the women had finished asking her questions.
"Thank you." She smiled before she was exscorted to the door.

Carter slowly removed his arm from around my waist, his fingers tenderly glided across my bare skin that I boldly decided to show today, knowing that my father wouldn't be home long enough to scold me.

He eyes me up and down a few times before leaning in close, "did you wear this for me?"

The white crop top and skirt had on suddenly seemed more scandialous then it had when I first put it on.
He lifted the first layer of my skirt, and that was enough to pulse fear into my body.
"No! I- it- I have a date!" I stumbled out.
"A date?" An amused look was plastered in his face, as he slowly inched closer to me.
"Yes. I do."
"I don't believe you."
"You don't have to. I don't need your appoval."

My arm was once again met with his grip, "you are engaged to be married to me." His jaw clenched as he brought me closer.

I ripped my arm from out of his reach, "last I checked you hated me."

"I don't hate you. I hate how you act."
"Well you won't have to worry about me soon."

"We will see about that."
-
I sat at the movies alone, praying that Carter wasn't watching and waiting for my 'date'. But, knowing him, he was probably lurking about.

The buttery popcorn met my lips, while the movie went on. My father would kill me if he found out how much binging I have done today, ruining my diet.

I felt his presence before I saw him.
"So, where is your date? The movie is almost over."

"I just want to see how jealous you would get." I put more popcorn in my mouth, hoping he wouldn't see through my lie.

"Now you know." He said, resting his hand on my thigh.