Chapter 1 - Assignment

The house smelt damp and looked abandoned but I knew differently.
This house held a whole coven of witches but they slept during the strong daylight hours so I edged closer into their little hovel.
My heart thudded in my chest and adrenaline zipped through my veins making the blood roar loudly in my ears, it was near on impossible to concentrate.
I took a deep breath to steady my nerves but regretted it instantly as a pungent stench emitting from the fireplace assaulted my nostrils.
I breathed out slowly trying to calm my frazzled nerves, I needed to get my head together.
Going over to investigate the fireplace I tentatively lifted the lid of a large cauldron hanging over the cold grate. Hundreds of flies hit me the same moment as the smell.
I regrettably dropped the lid, swatting at the flies as they buzzed around my face but the clang of the lid reverberated around the room as it tried to settle back into its position.
I had no time to stop and worry about the noise as my stomach churned and rolled threatening to bring up my breakfast. I clamped a hand firmly over my nose and mouth to block out the revolting smell and stood still.
Listening.
They must have heard me.
I could still hear the vibrations clanging inside my head.
My nerves were even worse now, I felt like a jittery mess. I was failing miserable. If my master could see me now I would be out quicker than I could shout 'witch'.
I needed this, I just needed to concentrate harder.

Being a witch hunter was all I'd ever wanted to do so I couldn't let nerves stand in my way. This was only my first assignment, after all my training I thought I was ready. No, I knew I was ready. I was the best at combat I aced all the tests thrown at me, whether they were physical or mental. I knew our history as though I had lived it. I was ready! This assignment shouldn't be causing me this much trouble all I had to do was enter a witches dwelling and gather evidence to prove she was a witch.
This first test was to determine who was up for the job and with a sinking heart I realised that it might not be me.

I looked around but everything I could see looked like it belonged to witches, they had shelves full of weird things I couldn't even identify and the place was filthy but that was no evidence. It was just something in my gut that made me sure that the five women who lived here were witches.
I had watched them for a long time now and recognised the obvious signs. They only left the house after the sun had set. Their garden and surrounding area was full of dead and decaying animals, mainly rodents. And they had their symbol, the sign of the witch on the door and hanging from various places around the property. Sticks bound with twine to resemble a star.
But what could I do? I couldn't bring the house to my master but maybe I could bring him here.
With a sigh I turned towards the door prepared to go back empty handed, but someone was blocking my way.
A dark figure, slim and small.
Panicking I scanned the room for another exit but knew there wasn't one, I was trapped.
I surprised myself as my body automatically took over and tensed preparing for the fight. I rolled forward onto the balls of my feet and clenched my hands into tight fists. I could do this, I was ready.
"It's okay." She spoke so softly that it knocked me off guard and I relaxed slightly back onto my heels before I remembered what she was. Maybe she didn't have the harsh, raspy voice I was expecting but that still didn't change what she was. A witch.
"I won't hurt you." She held her hands up palms facing me in a gesture of calm but I wasn't fooled.
"Is there something I can help you with?" She took a small step towards me and I saw her face as she stepped from the shadows. She was very pretty. When I had watched the witches it was always from afar so they wouldn't smell me and always at night so I never got to see their appearance. But the woman in front of me had dainty features and thick, straight hair so glossy and clean that she seemed out of place in this filth.
She tilted her head to the side and assessed me with a small friendly smile. I physically shook my head, I couldn't fall for this act she was probably using witchcraft right now to hide her appearance.
She took another step towards me. I rocked forward, the door was now clear. She smiled and extended her hand out towards me. I wanted to recoil but I needed to startle her or I could end up her next victim. Using all my force I charged her, she jumped aside with a squeak but my shoulder clipped hers. She was as solid as a wall and the impact knocked me off balance but I had no time to waste. Straightening up I ran for the door flinging it wide and running out into the brilliant sunlight and away.