Chapter 2 - Meeting

When I got to the trees I couldn't help but turn and see if she was following me even though I knew it was impossible, that direct sunlight would kill her.
Her shadowy outline stood in the open doorway watching me. With a shudder I turned and ran. When I thought I was far enough away I let my legs crumble beneath me. So many thoughts and questions whirled around my head making it pound, but the loudest was the fact that I was nearly caught.
I didn't want to think about what would have happened to me if I had been. I needed to report back to my master but I couldn't mention the encounter with the witch. How could I tell him I was nearly caught? He would be furious and definitely wouldn't take me on as his apprentice.
What was wrong with me? I should be able to handle this. I couldn't get the woman out of my mind all day as I made my way back to the city. Why hadn't she stopped me? I knew she was a malevolent witch and yet she had let me slip past her and out into the sunshine. My mind was distracted all day, I needed to speak to my master he always knew what to do but what should I tell him? If I told him the truth I could jeopardise my whole future in hunting. I would make a good hunter I just needed more time but would he understand? Would he choose me as his apprentice knowing how close I had been to being witch food. Or would he praise me for being honest and guide me in what to do next? I needed more time to think before I met with him and the others.
I was born to be a hunter, I knew it deep within my bones and would continue to be one even if my master decided to let me go. But to be his apprentice and learn his skills would be incredible, he was the best of the best and I wanted to be as well.

The sun was falling in the distance when I reached the limits of the city and I had run out of time. Although I had weighed up both options and would be better off not telling him about the encounter I knew I couldn't lie to him. I never could, he had a way of making me feel guilty for even considering it, he always had since I was little.
I was six years old when my master turned up at my foster home and told me I was going to live in a big house with him and some other children. He became our teacher, our guardian and when we were old enough he told us about the witches.

I ran hard, as I made my way to the warehouse where our meeting was being held tonight. I couldn't be late on top of everything else that had happened today.
Our master hated lateness above all else, he would say,
"To be early is to be on time,
to be on time is to be late,
and to be late is to be forgotten."
I was never late.
I slipped in through the old metal door and noticed I wasn't the first like I usually was but I also wasn't the last. Mario and Jenny still weren't here yet, I settled into the back. I preferred to stay at the back in the shadows rather than under the solitary blaze of light from the swinging bulb. I liked to keep to myself but I also liked to be able to see the whole room. I scanned the room but my master wasn't here yet either, I found it odd he was usually first here and last out. Besides me.
I checked my watch with a frown as the minute hand slowly moved off the twelve, he was now late.
I looked at the others who were clustered together talking excitedly about their own assignments, none of them seem to notice he was missing.
The heavy metal door swung open with a creak and relief flooded me just to be instantly washed away again with a cold dose of worry, it was Mario and Jenny. They walked casually over to the rest of the group and joined in the conversation.
I had to say something. Slipping out of the comfort the shadows provided I approached and cleared my throat. Some continued to talk but most of them looked my way, they looked at me as if they had never seen me before, a little confused and a bit on edge.
I know I always kept to myself, and they were a bit older than me but surely they remembered I was part of the group, that I grew up with them? Clearing my throat again I licked my lips as they had become dry. "Um, I'm worried about the master. He's late," I said hating how quiet my voice was, how timid I sounded. Mario looked at his watch and snorted. "It's only three minutes past." Some of the others laughed and turned their backs on me, dismissing me and continuing their conversation as though I had never interrupted.
"Drake will be fine, relax," Gemma smiled as she swept her hair over her shoulder. I bristled slightly she had no respect calling him by his first name and they didn't know him at all if they thought he would ever be late. I took off at a run. I could hear them laughing behind me and someone muttered 'weirdo' but I didn't care. My master could be in trouble and I needed to help him.