Chapter 6 - Return

I returned to the antique shop for my master, there was no way I would start calling him father. I didn't want anything to change, I knew the path I wanted to travel in life and I was determined to follow it.
I entered the dimly lit building and found him at the top of the stairs slumped against the wall for support. I knew he was injured but to see him so weak and defenceless was unnerving. I rushed to his side and supported his weight. I felt stronger since the magic started to flow through my body and I could quite easily lift him and carry him but I knew he wouldn't appreciate it and I wouldn't embarrass him by trying.

"Trix!" He tried but I shook my head, I didn't want to hear what he had to say. I had a lot of respect for him but I wasn't sure if I could stand to hear what he had to say he had lied to me my whole life. He had kept my true identity away from me, teaching me the evil ways of witches knowing that I was half witch.

We moved slowly through the streets staying on the ground and walking in shuffled steps. People looked our way but no one stopped to help or said anything even though we were both covered in blood and he looked wrecked.
We eventually made it back to the warehouse where we were greeted by the shocked faces of the group who had obviously realised something was wrong and had come out to wait.

Gemma rushed forward and went to grab our masters other arm but he stopped her with a look and a slight shake of his head.

"Drake what happened?" She simpered stroking her hair anxiously.

"Lets go inside there are eyes everywhere in the night." He leaned heavily on me allowing me to support all his weight as we walked past the group and into the warehouse. I steered him towards one of the few chairs that were under the glare of the bulb and eased him into it, he collapsed with a contained groan. His grip tightened and was strong despite his frail appearance and held my arm firm until I met his eyes.
"Stay close. We will talk later." His voice was low so only I could hear and breathless with the effort. I nodded and stood back seeking the comfort of the shadows. Was that the part witch in me shying away from the light? I shook my head, I wouldn't think about that yet. I hoped master would hurry up with whatever he felt he needed to explain so we could go home. He still needed help I could see the wound on his neck seeping with blood.

"I apologise for not being here to receive your assignments, I hope all went well. I know it is customary to review on the night and to proceed with first hunting's if your findings were successful. But in light of recent events I'm afraid we will need to postpone." He paused and took a steading breath, I could see the pain he was in, in the slight squint of his eye and the way he leaned to one side.
"I will hear your recounts tomorrow afternoon in the training hall and then we can arrange for your first hunts tomorrow night, but right now we shall all head home." He steadied his hands on the arm rests and went to push himself up when Mario moved in front of him.
"So what did happen tonight? Did a hunt go wrong?" I could see the worry and confusion on all their faces and understood. Our master never failed. Nothing went wrong, ever. I still didn't know how that witch had attacked him. He always had his guard up, even at home he was alert and prepared.
Our master shook his head, "No not a hunt. There was a misunderstanding but I will rectify it so no need to worry." He smiled but it was strained as he slowly got to his feet.
Mario and Lucy stood close to steady him but he waved them away, "Trix can you ride with me?" He called looking towards me, I stepped into the light and the group frowned at my approach. I went to his side and he leaned against me, "I think we need to talk." He added.
I agreed we did need to talk but I wasn't sure if I would like what he had to say.

Eight sets of confused eyes followed are progress as we made our way back outside.
"Wait here a moment I cannot ride the bike home and don't think I could even hold on if you were to drive. I'll call Frank." He pulled out his mobile from his pocket and tapped the screen. I could hear the phone ring once before Frank answered with his name.
"I'm at the warehouse, bring the pickup." was all my master said before ending the call and sliding the phone back into his pocket. Frank wouldn't be long, he had lived at the house longer than me and did everything for us, maintenance, gardening even chauffeuring us around when we were younger.
We slowly made our way out of the alley to wait by the road as the others came out of the warehouse.

"So we'll see you at home then?" Lucy said uncertainly looking at me distrustfully.
"Yes, I will meet with you all tomorrow as I have told you." I didn't miss the edge to his voice, he didn't like to be questioned.
"Sorry Drake." She said lowering her eyes, "Its just we were worried about you."
"Yet you laughed at me when I was." I said under my breath as I turned towards the road. I knew they both heard me but I didn't want to get into it with her right now.

I sighed with relief when I saw the old white pickup pull up along the curb and Frank jump out without shutting off the engine.
"What's going on here then?" He grinned looking our master up and down as he stood in front of him, "Finally met your match?"
"Something like that." He grinned back before going to the passenger side door, "Trix." He called holding the door open for me.
"I'll get your bike and put it in the back." I said walking back towards the alley but he shook his head, "Frank will do it." I shrugged and climbed into the middle seat of the truck and he got in after, closing the door. I watched Lucy walk down the road where the others stood waiting for her and Frank disappeared into the alley. Lucy looked back one last time before jogging to catch up with the others. Then there was silence. I looked at our master but he was also staring out the windshield in thought.
"How did she manage to attack you?" I asked needing to know. He sighed before turning his body around to face me.
"When I set the assignment I thought you would have stayed in the city and tracked one of the witches around here," he gestured around him.
"I didn't think you would have gone as far as the forest." He went quiet and gazed out of the window again, a light rain hit the windscreen and blurred the street lights.
I went to ask again when he sighed, "I took an oath a long time ago to not harm the five witches who live in the house you visited." His gaze remained on the road, "When Gianna showed up I thought she wanted to talk so I entered the shop where we wouldn't be interrupted. She didn't talk just attacked, I was unprepared."
"How were you unprepared? A witch came to talk to you and you lowered your guard. I don't understand." I shook my head in frustration, that was rule number one. Never trust a witch.
"I've been doing this a long time Venatrix, my agreement with those witches has been a long time. They don't hunt in the city and I leave them alone. They come to me from time to time and sometimes I go to them for things." I snorted unable to contain it. I wonder if I was the result of one of those things.
He frowned at me. "No Venatrix." He said with disapproval. "Information, I go to them for information."
I opened my mouth to ask what information he was willing to trust a witch with when I heard a thud in the bed of the truck. I spun around and saw Frank jogging around to the drivers side. He opened the door and climbed in shaking the rain drops from his wiry grey hair. He always wore it on the longer side but it suited him, once black but now mostly grey curls wisped just below his ears and brushed the nape of his neck.
He focused his mega watt smile on me, "So Trixie what's happened to your old man." I smiled before his words sunk in. He had always referred to him as my old man because I had refused to call him anything other than master. Growing up as children we had martial arts training and all called him this, as we got older and learnt new things the other children drop this title and started calling him by his name. He never cared but I couldn't call him anything else.
Frank had always joked with me saying he was no longer a master but a old man even though he was younger than Frank, he always called him 'my old man' and it never bothered me until now. Now those three little words took a new meaning.
"You knew?" I asked with disbelief. Frank frowned at me, "You ok Trixie? Or did you both take a beating?" he chuckled putting the back of his hand against my forehead.
"You called him 'my old man' do you know who he is?" Frank looked past me to my master. "Uh," He uttered understanding creasing his face.
"Its ok Frank, she met Mari. She knows everything." He said addressing Frank.
"Hardly!" I screeched in frustration, "You haven't actually told me anything. And you knew?" I accused rounding on Frank.
He held up both his hands in surrender. "Hey don't shout at me I was sworn to secrecy."
I couldn't believe it, my whole life I had been lied to. I crossed my arms scared that my anger would come out through my fingers. I could feel the energy of the magic tingling, waiting for me to instruct it. I needed to calm down.
"Just drive, I'm tired and want to get home." I said knowing I sounded rude but stuck in the middle seat I couldn't bolt as I wanted to and the energy was building.
Frank put the truck in drive and slowly pulled away from the curb.
We travelled home in silence which I was grateful. As soon as they exited the vehicle I got out and ran through the door, up the stairs and down the hall to my room. I knew my master would be fine with Frank and I needed to sort my feelings out.