Chapter 3 - Search

I got out on the open street and was overwhelmed by the noise of the traffic and people. I hated the city and even though it was now night the streets were bursting with activity. I scaled back into the alley and climbed onto some bins. Using the drain pipe I climbed and hauled myself onto the roof. The lights in the street hurt my eyes and the noise hurt my ears but up here was calmer almost peaceful. I could move more freely without being seen I could also see everything. I knew my master preferred to move about up here so hopefully I would find something that would help me detect where he was. I ran across the flat rooftops of the stores and wound my way through the city. I scanned the streets even though I was pretty sure he wouldn't be down there.
He could just be on a job I tried to reassure myself but I knew he wasn't he always managed to tell us and he usually took someone with him for extra training.
Leaping across to another roof something in the alley below caught my eye. I landed softly on the balls of my feet only making a soft crunch before I peered over.
Dressed all in black was a woman crouched on the ground, she held some fabric in her hands and was smelling it.
Quickly her head whipped up and her eyes flickered along the rooftops where I was hiding but luckily I pulled back just in time. But not before I saw her face. My heart stuttered a few beats as my mind registered her dainty features. It was the woman from the shack in the woods. I should have known she would come looking for me as soon as the sun was set. I had been worrying all day about nearly being caught when I should of been worrying about her coming after me. I peered back over but she was gone. My heart had kick-started again and was now in overdrive threatening to beat right out of my chest.
I didn't think she had seen me but I could have been wrong, she might be climbing up the building now to get me. I peered over again scanning the walls but saw nothing. I mentally shook myself, I had to get a grip if I wanted to be a great witch hunter. I couldn't let this one solitary witch scare me like this. Taking a deep breath. I stood straight and steadied my breathing. Now I had to decide what to do, did I do my duty and follow the witch? Ending this right now, I really didn't want her following me. Or should I show my loyalty and find my master. Before I could decide the decision was made for me when I heard the wail of a cat down below. I looked back down at the darker end of the alley and saw a black shadow hunched over.
I removed my blade from its binding on my thigh and jumped over the edge. Falling down fast but controlled I landed on my feet in a crouch.
In a whirl of cloth and shadow the witch turned to face me. She grinned at me, blood coating her teeth and dribbling from her chin. The cat I had heard was now limp in her hand. My stomach rolled with disgust but I pushed it back down, I needed to toughen up. What would master do?
I stood slightly but never came fully out of my crouch, I needed to be ready if she came for me. I held the blade steady with the blade pointing towards her.
"How different you are on your own turf," the witch smiled smearing the blood on her chin with the back of her hand. "But really, you have nothing to fear from me. I came to speak with your master but I fear something may have happened to him."
I tensed, how did she know anything about my master and still be alive? She must have a death wish to be actively seeking him out, he would kill her before she got her first word out. Which reminded me I was letting this conversation go too far, I needed to act and fast. I tightened my grip on my knife feeling the firm handle snugly in my hand but still my body wouldn't move forward. I should have struck her by now what was I waiting for?
"I know its in your nature to want to attack me but you have to trust me if you want help in finding your master. I can track his scent and find out where he's been taken."
"Taken?" I asked shocked. I thought maybe he was out hunting and it had been harder than he had expected or worse case scenario he was injured and unable to get back to us but it had never even entered my mind that someone would have actually taken him. Why would anyone want him? As if she read my thoughts the witch answered my unspoken question.
"We witches have hunters of our own to hunt your hunters. I know your master well and we have an understanding but our arrangement doesn't extend to all witches just as it doesn't stop other hunters finding me." She smiled at me. "The others sniffed you at our dwelling but you hold his scent on you. When they smelled you they thought Drake had broken the agreement we had made and they sent our hunter after him. I tried to explain that it was only his apprentice that had entered our home but they wouldn't listen to any reason. That's why I'm here, to help find your master and sort this mess out."
My mind was sluggish as it tried to process what she had just said. If this witch was telling the truth then it was because of me that he was in trouble and I would have to trust her to help him. I recoiled from the idea.
I had been trained to never trust a witch I shouldn't even be talking to her because witches lie to save themself. And yet I wanted to believe her because I had no idea where my master was and if I killed her now and went alone to find him and she was telling the truth I could be jeopardising his life. I didn't know what to do, I had never been told of a 'witch' hunter that hunted us hunters before. I lowered my blade but didn't relax my grip.
"I will follow you but I do not trust you. If you keep in front of me and stay in view you have my word that I won't harm you but if you try leading me into a trap I will kill you." I was proud at how strong my voice sounded. She smiled and nodded, "You sound just like your..." She paused and her smile slipped which made me frown, I had had enough talking we were wasting time if she was speaking the truth.
"...your master." She finished quietly before turning her back and setting the pace down the alley.