Chapter 5 - Mother

I took the stairs two at a time and fled the building running at a blinding speed.
I had never felt so overwhelmed and I needed to get away. My body and senses took over any rational feeling making me move. I didn't know where I was going or what I was going to do. I just ran.
I moved with agility through the people, they hardly saw me I was like wind rushing past them. A gust of air stirring their clothes or hair but gone before they could see me. As soon as I was across the road  I raced down an alley and without slowing my pace sprung easily onto the bins before vaulting myself onto the roof. I still didn't stop I ran and leapt until I was far from the noise and bright lights.
Then I stopped, sat and cried.
I cried because I was confused, I cried because I was scared, and I cried because my life had been a lie.
The emotions flowing through my body were changing me, I felt tingles of power flowing from my core down my limbs to the tips of my fingers and down to my toes. What was this? Had the witch put a curse on me? I shook my hands to try and get rid of the sensation but it only intensified and a crackle like static electricity flowed around me raising my hair and goosebumps along my skin. I stopped crying feeling too scared to move. I had to stop this I was not a witch I was a hunter so I had to break the curse that was set upon me.
"Venatrix?" a soft voice spoke behind me and I knew instantly who spoke it.
"I can help you control your power if you let me. It's very strong because you've suppressed it deep inside you all these years but I will help you." So it wasn't a curse, I was half witch and now her filthy magic was inside me.
"Leave Me," I roared flinging out my hand as she started to approach. Shock filled me as the static that had been flowing around me, moved in the direction of my hand and slammed into the witch. It lifted her into the air and knocked her flat out. I stared at my hand in disbelief. That had come from me. I knocked a witch out without even touching her.
Slowly she sat up looking just as surprised as she stared at me. I could feel the power once more in my palms waiting to do as I commanded. It no longer felt wrong and erratic something had shifted, it felt powerful but I felt stronger I was in control of it instead of it in control of me. I summoned more to pool into my hand and it came crackling in an orb just above my skin. I smiled as I pushed it back.
I looked down at the witch, she suddenly looked weak and pathetic not the predator I feared earlier.
"The truth witch, I want the truth," I hissed at her. She nodded but now looked fearful, "All I've spoken is the truth, Drake is your father and I am your mother." I looked her deep in the eyes and saw that she indeed did speak the truth.
"Did you love Drake? Was I created in love?" I needed to know if I was ever wanted. Why did she leave me in care? She shook her head sadly as a tear slid down her cheek, "I chose Drake to be your father for a reason, you see he is the best hunter because he is also the child of a witch. He was cast out and left for dead because he was male and male witches don't have magic so his coven didn't need him." She shrugged dismissively. My hands began to shake with rage at her flippant attitude about abandoning children. Had she never cared?
She got to her feet as she continued talking,
"But he grew up strong and is now the best hunter, ever. I wanted my child to be strong and deadly like Drake but powerful like me. I may not have wanted your father but I did want you and now it's time for you to come home." I shook my head in disgust, "Why did you leave me?"
"Don't you see? I had to so you would experience the same struggles as Drake did but when he found out about you he got you and raised you. Which worked out better because now you've learnt from him without having any of the heartache he did."
Any heartache? Had she no idea at all? I went from home to home until I was six but even when I lived with my master I was alone. The other children never fully accepted me, only my master would spend time with me but he was always so busy.
Every word she spoke was true I could see it in her eyes but it just made me hate her more. She had used my master and then abandoned me. If he hadn't of found me when I was young I would have been alone and never knew any of this.
"Well you got your wish then mother," I sneered feeling the hatred fuel my newly found powers. "I have learnt a lot from my master and now I feel strong and deadly just like him and I also feel your power flowing through my veins just as you had hoped." I clenched my fist feeling the tendons in my arms tighten. The witch, my mother smiled but I could see it was strained, she looked frightened and so she should. I lifted my clenched fist out in front of me and directed it at her. Her smile fell, "What are you doing honey? I'm ready to be your mother and train you." Her voice wobbled as she shuffled back slightly.
"Too late. I'm doing what my master has taught me and what I should have done the first time I saw you."
I opened my hand so my palm was facing her.
"Goodbye mother," I said as a brilliant beam of hot, pure white light streamed out of my hand and drenched her. Sunlight.
When the light faded my eyes adjusted quickly. Not really remains were left just tattered fabric, scorched and burnt and a scattering of dirt.
I stepped over the mess and started to make my way back to the antique shop. My master was weak and needed my help. When he was safe I would return to that hovel in the woods and wipe out the remainder of my family and then with my father by my side we would go hunting.