Chapter Seven

"Onyx?" She recognized the voice of May Parker pulling her from her thoughts. Turning towards the door, Onyx saw the woman lean her head in the doorway to look at her. "Peter is home, why don't you come into the living room and meet him?"

She disappeared and Onyx sighed, pushing herself up and walking out the door and down the hallway into the living room. The girl didn't understand why she couldn't have been placed in a home with no other kids, that way she wouldn't have to deal with other people at all.

This is the best way to get your revenge, she reminded herself. This is an important part of the plan to kill Spider-Man. You can do this.

In the living room, Onyx saw a boy that did look to be her age, with styled back brown hair and brown eyes that were watching May in the kitchen, which was behind the living room. He had white headphones hanging from his ears and a backpack slung over one shoulder.

All Onyx could think was that he looked just like any other boy in New York.

"Oh, Onyx," May said as she spotted the girl. "This is my nephew, Peter."

Peter turned towards her and his brown eyes widened and his jaw dropped as he looked at her. Out of the corner of her eye, Onyx could see that May was smirking. What she was smirking about, well, Onyx wasn't exactly sure.

Clearing his throat, Peter shook his head and took a step towards Onyx, holding out a hand for her to shake. She took it, a little reluctantly, and locked eyes with Peter. The boy watched in confusion as the girl's eyes flashed for a minute, looking almost brown, though they were startling emerald green again the next second.

"H-hi, I'm, um, I'm Peter."

"Onyx."

"It's nice to meet you," Peter said.

Onyx didn't reply.

"Well," May interrupted. "Now that you two are introduced, you won't mind showing Onyx around the school and town, would you? Introducing her to your friends?"

"Uh, no, no, I could do that," Peter said, smiling at his aunt.

"Great! Why don't you get started on your homework?" May asked, though Onyx could tell that it wasn't a question.

"Sure, sure," he nodded, turned to look at Onyx, "we leave at, um, eight tomorrow morning. Does that sound alright?"

"Yeah," Onyx answered.

Both teenagers retreated to their rooms. Onyx pushed open her window and looked out at the city, wondering where Hannah was and hoping she got to see her soon. Hoping that they got to attend the same school.

The last time that Onyx had gone to school was, obviously, before she lived on the streets. Five years ago. That was certainly a long time ago and going back was certainly going to be hard. Adjusting to high school was had for kids going from grade eight to grade nine, but when you were going from grade six to grade ten, it was a lot harder.

Onyx had been eleven years old when she ran away. She had abandoned going to school and living a normal life. And now, five years later, that life she had been living for eleven years and was now living again, wasn't normal. Living on the streets with Hannah and being contract killers was what constituted as normal these days for Onyx.

What Onyx really had to figure out was how they were going to keep being contract killers. Having homes they needed to be in certainly would complicate things, as would people wondering where they are.

They would just need to find some way around that.