Ch.8 Another Try

"There she is now" Dr. Thatcher said as Kaylee opened the door to the animal shelter.

Kaylee looked up and blinked before she said, "Sheriff Graham"

"I will take my leave to my office" Dr. Thatcher nodded and then left the two alone.

"I wanted to apologize" Graham spoke up, "I don't know what got into Madam Mayor but she didn't mean to shoe you away like that. Your story was really interesting about the animal, how much love you put behind that story, it was unbelievable. It was almost like as if you've felt that way before"

"Imagine that" Kaylee gave him a quick smile, "I seem to have a way of words"

"I was just wondering" Graham suddenly spoke up, "Have you ever felt that way before? I mean, it just seemed so real"

"A long time ago" Kaylee said as she looked into Graham's eyes, "It seems almost too far away from me. The memory, I mean"

Kaylee sighed as she walked past the man and went behind the counter as she tried to keep her hands from stop shaking. Graham slowly walked over to the counter and didn't move until she looked up.

"I want to make it up to you" Graham told her.

Kaylee blinked, "Make up for what? You've already made up for my breakfast. What could you possibly owe me this time?"

"For the interrupted breakfast" Graham countered.

"That's okay" Kaylee shook her head.

"No, it's not" Graham spoke up, "Please, I beg of you. Let's try lunch this time"

"Alright" Kaylee nodded, "You can drop it off here. I'm probably going to eat a late lunch anyways"

"That's not what I meant" Graham shook his head, "I meant that maybe we should go together, you know I get hungry too"

"Why are you doing this?" Kaylee asked, "You don't have to"

"Because now I feel like I can connect to someone in this town" Graham reached out and touched her hand.

Kaywinnet leaned back and rested her forehead on Humbert's rough neck as he chewed his meal. He wrapped his arm tightly around her waist as he bent down his head and kissed her lightly on the lips. She picked up his hand and started to slowly trace the lines on his palms as she knew he was watching her. Humbert listened to the fire crackle as he watched the light and warmth illuminate the young woman's skin as she lay comfortable in his arms.

She then straightened up and looked into the Huntsman's eyes and smiled at him as she fixed a few curls out of his eyes. A slow and single tear traced down his cheek as he felt her love for him consume his heart, making it want to burst at any moment. Kaywinnet brushed her thumb lightly over his cheek as he closed his eyes and leaned his head into her touch. She leaned her head into his and kissed him passionately on the lips.

"Are you alright?" Graham asked as Kaylee jerked her hand away.

"Yes" Kaylee said as sadness overwhelmed her, "I'm sorry. I'm just a bit out of it today. Too many memories flashing through my mind. They're kind of making me dizzy"

"Maybe you should go back to your apartment" Graham suggested.

"It's okay" Kaylee shook her head, "So what were we talking about? Oh, that's right! Lunch! What time?"

"You want to go now?" Graham asked, "What changed your mind?"

"That's only up to me. It's Sunday today so a lot of the nuns love to go to Granny's during that time" Kaylee spoke up.

"How about Wednesday?" Graham asked.

"Wednesday?" Kaylee asked, "I can work with that. Let's meet there"

"I don't think that would suit me very well" Graham objected, "How about I pick you up here and we'll go from there. I'm sure it's every girl's dream to ride in a cop car"

"Depending on where she's sitting" Kaylee countered, "I guess a little ride wouldn't hurt"

"I knew you wouldn't back down" Graham smiled, "So Wednesday it is then?"

"I will be waiting here" Kaylee nodded, "I hope nothing stands in our way again"

"If not then we'll just find another way" Graham agreed as he went to the door, "I think this will start to become a routine for us. Isn't that exciting?"

Kaylee watched as Graham left the animal shelter as her heart grew heavy, "It was more than just mere routine for us"

"He's becoming more of a usual customer to us then Pongo" Dr. Thatcher said as he came out from the hallway.

"Too bad he doesn't have an animal" Kaylee smiled to her partner, "Otherwise his visits would mean something to this business"

Kaywinnet wobbled as she stood on her legs, her whole body felt like they were shaking violently as she tried to find her balance. She let out a shallow breath as she waved her arms out and tried to find some sort of courage for her to make her first step. She looked up nervously at Humbert who was only a few steps away, holding up an apple for her. Her stomach growled impatiently as she tried her best not to look at the delicious fruit. She finally took her first step but then her legs gave out as she fell to the floor.

Humbert quickly reached out and broke her fall, "I guess you're not ready just yet"

"I want to walk"

"You will in a couple of days but not just yet. Your muscles have to find their strength again" Humbert told her, "Come on, let's just sit you back down again. We can try a little more tomorrow. I need to go out and try to find some food to hunt down. If you trust Suri to go hunt for us, all she'll bring back is squirrels. Call for her to come back and I will find us something to eat. We'll try this again tomorrow, I promise. I won't abandon you until I know that you are safe"

Kaywinnet turned and looked at the Huntsman who locked his gaze with hers. She noticed how tightly he had his arm around her waist, still holding her close to his body. Her gaze slowly searched his whole face as she felt the warm breath spread across her own face. Humbert slowly moved Kaywinnet down onto the ground as he felt her hands tighten around his sleeves. He felt something inside of him light up and become alive as he stared into her hazel eyes. His mind was going crazy with ideas as they wanted every inch of his body to lean in and kiss her on the lips. At the last moment, he slowly moved away from her and walked over to his bow and arrows leaned up next to a tree as he turned around and looked at her.

"Don't worry" Kaywinnet responded, "Suri coming over to our campsite. You should already get going. She's already close enough. Go ahead and hunt! But hurry back. She always worries when she's not by your side. Just please, be safe... I don't want this to become a routine for you"