Chapter 7

"Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority."
-Arthur Schopenhauer

"Y'all better make it light on yourselves and let me have those seats." The bus driver said to the woman and three other people. A Caucasian man had just got on and had nowhere to sit. Toni knew the woman to be none other than Rosa Parks. The other three people moved and Rosa stayed in her seat. After the driver continued to harass her he asked again. "Are you going to get up or not?"

"No I'm not."

"Well if you don't, I'm gonna have to call the police and have you arrested."

"You may do that." Rosa said looking straight ahead. Afterwards a cop came and arrested her. When she was off the bus the driver drove away.

When the bus stopped, she and April got off the bus. April opened the door and walked in but instead of going into the unknown house, Toni ended back in her own house. She sat on the bed and let out a breath. "Well its better than slavery." She said shrugging.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Toni woke up the next morning to the smell of food cooking. She got up, did her hygiene, and went to the kitchen. Dylan was making breakfast.

"Ok. What did you break?" She asked suspicious of his gesture.

"Me? Nothing." He said innocently.

"Well then what do you want?"

"Did I ever tell you how beautiful you look in the morning?" He asked kissing her lips.

"Spill it!"

"Okay so Bill wants us to have dinner at his house tonight."

"Us as in both of us, or as in you come and leave Toni at home?"

"A little bit of both..."

"Yeah I'm good. He doesn't like me-"

"Fallon might be there."

"Oh hell no. I'll be ready at 6." She said as Dylan chuckled as he went upstairs.

Toni hate a few pieces of bacon before remembering she had errands to run. She went into their bedroom and saw Dylan sitting on the bed. He looked up at her with hurt in his eyes. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"All this time I thought something was wrong with me. I went to fertility clinics, which was embarrassing as hell, but I did it for us."

"What are you talking about?"

He held up her birth control pills and she felt bad.

"Dyl, I-"

"I thought we were on the same page. Why didn't you just say you didn't want kids?"

"I do. I stopped taking them two weeks ago, I swear."

"We've been trying for six months!!"

She sighed, "I know and I'm sorry. You're so ready to be a father and I'm scared as hell. I mean really, me? As someone's mother? I just didn't think I was ready, but I am now."

"Are you sure? Because if not I understand. We can get a dog or something."

Toni chuckled as she took the pills and threw them in the trash. She sat down next to him and he kissed her forehead. "You're going to be an incredible mother."