Nineteen

Inside his car, Sehun gently poked Suzy's shoulder. Instead of waking up, she snuggled closer against the door she had been leaning on since he picked her up that morning. She made the cutest murmuring sleep sound. Like a peaceful kitten in a patch of sunlight. She looked paler than usual, which made him worried. The dark circles under her eyes were also a cause for concern. Reminding himself there was no point in worrying, since they were nearing the end of their time together, he gave her shoulder another poke.

"We're here," he said softly.

"Too early," she mumbled back, eyes closed tightly.

"It's already ten."

"Mmm . . ."

He shook his head and smiled. Then he spoke without thinking about the words, "'Come on, yeo -" He stopped, shock. He was about to call her yeobo. It was what his father used to call his mother. Where in the world that came from? He swallowed as the rightness of the endearment spread through him. Fortunately her next words distracted him from himself.

"Want more sleep."

"I know, but we're shopping for art supplies today." He took her hand and brought the inside of her wrist to his lips. After placing a kiss there, he moved to the center of her palm, then to each fingertips. The remainder of paint caked the sides of her nails. Most girls he was used to were obsessive about keeping their nails clean and manicured. Not Suzy. Her hands showed the evidence of her passion. She didn't care who saw, and he honored her more because of it.

"That feels nice," she hummed with a sigh. "But coffee is much better."

Laughing, he placed the last kiss on the back of her hand and got out of the car. After checking if both ways were clear of cars, he ran across the street to a coffee shop and ordered two coffees to go. Not knowing how Suzy want her coffee, he filled his pockets with packets of cream and sugar.

Giving the waitress a smile, he exit the shop and carried the cups back to the car. Once in his seat, he set his cup aside and removed the sippy lid from Suzy's. Then he placed it under her nose. As soon as she got a whiff of life-giving brew, her eyes popped open and she sat up.

"Thank you!" She grabbed the cup with both hands and gulped down the hot liquid without worrying about burning her tongue.

"Black it is, then." He removed the packets of cream and sugar from his pockets and placed them on the dashboard. He took one of each for himself and poured the contents into his cups.

After two more gulps, Suzy reached for two packets of each cream and sugar and poured them into her half-empty cup. Both his brows raised. She stirred a few times, then drank the last of the cup.

"It's official," he said against the rim of his cup before taking a sip.

"What?" She looked at him with wide eyes. Apparently the caffeine had worked its magic.

"I like everything about you. Down to the way you start with black coffee, then end it with two sugars and creams." He smiled. "You, Sooji 'Suzy' Bae, are the most unexpected girl of my dreams." He had meant to tease a blush out of her. Instead he received a scowl that took him back.

"Let's be clear." She pointed at herself. "I'm no one's dream girl. Especially not yours."

"Suzy," he breathed out.

"No! Don't go saying it was just a joke. I see the teasing in your eyes. You're leaving in a few weeks."

"Hey, where is this coming from?" The lovely start to his day had officially ended.

"Remember, you were the one who insisted on the rules. I'm just following them. You're leaving."

Eyebrows knitted together, he set his cup aside again before the remainder of its contents spilled on him. "Yes, I'm leaving, Suzy." He looked at her in the eye. "Nothing will change that." She gasped. If he wasn't mistaken, he thought he had caught a flash of hurt in her big brown eyes. He softened. "We're here to grab art supplies. Can't we enjoy that? Don't you girls love shopping."