Twenty-Seven (Final Chapter)

Sehun resisted the urge to run and pull her into his arms

Sehun resisted the urge to run and pull her into his arms. From the surprise on her face, he could tell she hadn't expected him to be there. That might be a good thing. It might be bad. The terrible thundering in his chest told him he knew nothing for certain. His hands clasping the bouquet of blue daisies were damp with sweat. He was pretty sure he was soaking through his shirt beneath his jacket. All this had been a gamble. She had rejected him once before. Her being there didn't mean she wouldn't reject him again.

When Chanyeol had suggested he be the one to pick her up, Sehun was a hundred percent against the idea. But Chanyeol had convinced him in that maddeningly persuasive way of his that if he was the one to pick her up, then he could still coax Suzy into coming if she was hesitant. This had done Sehun no favors, though, because if he had been the one to pick her up, at least he would have had the opportunity to determine her feelings. All this for her, and he had come into it blinder than a bat in daylight.

His grip tightened around the flowers' stems as Chanyeol ushered a speechless Suzy closer. This wasn't the time to stall. He knew how he felt about her, and this night was designed for her to both see and feel it.

Unable to take not being near her any longer, he met them halfway. Everyone stopped. His eyes took her all in. The pink dress brought out the cream on her, and in the lamplight she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. The thought of missing her weaken him.

"Sehun," she whispered.

He swallowed. The sound of his name from her lips snapped him out of his immobility. With shaking hands, he handed her the bouquet - the color of which reminded him of the dress she'd worn at the garden party. Chanyeol quietly observed from his side.

Suzy didn't make a move to reach her hands out. She was stared at the daisies. His heart stopped, disabling him. Then Chanyeol took her left hand and tugged it toward Sehun. The move encouraged him. He slipped the flowers into her grasp. His fingers touched the back of her hand, sending tingles up his arm.

"Oh," she gasped, then pressed her nose against the blooms. "They're beautiful."

Chanyeol chuckled. "Mission accomplished."

Sehun endured the shoulder squeeze from his cousin before he left them. As much as possible he wanted to maintain a poker face. He wanted to show her that he was in control, because one word from her could shatter his world. He wouldn't allow that to happen. For both their sakes.

He held out the crook of his elbow to her. Every second it took for her to wrap her arm around his was a second he died a little inside. Only when her hand was firmly on his forearm did he start breathing again.

"The museum?" she asked, a twinkle in her eye.

"You said Van Gogh was your favorite, so . . ."  He faced her with renewed confidence and said, "Sooji Bae, will you go on a date with me?"