Chapter 3

Things returned a bit back to normal several days later. There were no deliveries for a few days so Dice was busy with maintaining the transporters. Petrash almost bumped into her as she made her way into the spare part storage.

'I'm sending out an order this afternoon, do you need anything?'

'Nah, I've got the parts I need, they're just all the way in the back in the dark.' she said and held up the lamp she had with her.

'Okay. Good luck.'

The storage was a mess as well with parts and materials stashed wherever there was room on the shelves and in corners. She made her way to the back and tried to pull the part from between other boxes.

'Damn!' she said, put down the lamp on a free bit of shelf so she could use both hands, then pulled again.

This time it came loose suddenly and she bumped back against the shelves, the lamp toppled over and crashed down right in a puddle of highly flammable liquid that had spilled out of a can that had fallen from the bottom shelf. A hot fire erupted at once and Dice stumbled back into the corner in shock. She looked around but there was no way out of there and she froze in panic.

Petrash was just talking to Ghost and Rusty when the alarm went off.

'What's that!?'

'Fire alarm!' Ghost said and sniffed the air.

'Sounds like it's coming from the garage!' Rusty said and they ran off.

They found the fire in the storage room and Petrash saw Dice huddled into the corner. 'Where are the extinguishers!?'

'Here!' Ghost said and handed him one.

They tried to fight the fire that had spread forward but it wasn't enough to kill it.

'We need more!' Ghost said. 'Come with me Rusty!'

'Dice!' Petrash shouted at her, but she didn't react.

He saw her eyes filled with fear and the fire sneaking up on her and racked his brain on what to do.

'Dammit!'

Then he saw a blanket draped over some boxes, sprayed the last of the extinguisher over it and wrapped it around him.

'I'm coming over!' he shouted at Dice and rushed through the flames.

'Dice, Dice!' he shouted and shook her. 'Get a hold of yourself!'

When she still didn't react to him he figured he had no choice. He wrapped her up in the still partially cool and wet blanket, took a deep breath and spurted back through the fire again.

Just as he came out the girls got back and sprayed the both of them. He coughed and carried Dice to the living room while the fire was put down.

When Ghost hurried into the room Dice was starting to get back to reality and Petrash laid down on the cool floor.

She checked on Dice first, then on Petrash who waved her off.

'I'll be fine. Take care of Dice first.'

Rusty returned saying it was safe and got out the medical kit to treat his burns and cut away the charred parts of hair and fur.

'Dice has a trauma from a fire during the time she was little, so that's why she froze.' she explained.

Dice came to and shook her head. 'What happened?'

'You got trapped by a fire.'

She checked her body for wounds. 'I'm not hurt?'