Chapter 5

'You okay?'

'How so?' Petrash asked when Rusty sat down on the corner of his desk.

'You look kinda tired.'

He smiled softly. 'I guess I kinda am. Haven't really slept well lately.'

'You're not feeling sick, are you?'

'Nah, it's just that I can't find the right, posture, to sleep. Nothing feels comfortable now.' He stood up and filed the day's paperwork into the cabinet. 'It'll pass, I'm sure.' He took his cup. 'I feel like having a snack. Want some?'

Two minutes later they sat on the couch nibbling on dried meat sticks, watching a new show about racing in the snow ring. Although they lived the life there, seeing the extreme circumstances in which the teams competed made them crawl together for extra warmth. Shattered car parts, shredded tires, ice covering an entire car, Rusty wondered how they managed to keep up the hard work and have fun at it at the same time. She turned her head to say something to Petrash but found him leaning asleep against her. She stroked a pluck of hair from his forehead and felt he had a high temperature.

'Idiot. You should have said you were sick.' she said as she laid him down on the couch and pulled a blanket on top of him.

Sleepily he opened his eyes. 'It's nothing bad, it'll go away after a good night sleep.'

'Not if you can't sleep properly.'

'Don't worry your pretty little head about me.' he smiled sleepily.

She blushed. 'There's nothing planned for the rest of the day and since I'm the only one here I guess I'll take care of you.'

'Thanks, but I couldn't ask that of you.'

'Just tell me what you'd like and I'll get it.'

'Ehm,' he hesitated. 'could I hold you until I fall asleep?'

She looked away for a second, then nodded and crawled under the blanket with him.

'Thank you.' he whispered as he rested his head against hers. 'I've been dying to hold you cuties ever since I've been with Ghost.'

Rusty wanted to say something but he had already fallen deep asleep. 'So maybe that's it?' she whispered.

When he woke up he found Rusty still in his embrace. 'Thank you for staying.' he whispered.

'I only did it to make sure you'd get plenty of sleep.'

He snickered softly. 'And now I'll have to repay you plenty for acting as my old plushie again.'

'Just tell me next time. I'll be your plushie if you really need it.'

'I'd rather snuggle up with you, not pretend you to be my plushie.' he said softly.

She felt her face turn hot. 'But that's the only good part about me.'

'You still think you're not pretty?' He ran his fingers through her red-brown hair and caressed her ear. 'You're really cute and you have a warm heart. I'm happy to be close to you.'

She looked at his grey eyes and knew he'd gotten to her too, then let herself go and kissed him. His surprise soon made way for his desire and he caressed her fur all over.

Eventually they felt satisfied and Rusty turned to snuggle with her back up to him and turned the TV back on.

'Think you can be satisfied with this for the time being?'

He nuzzled the back of her hair gently. 'I don't know. Feels like I want to experience this even more now.'

She smiled. 'Well, you'll have to find another way then as you know I'll be gone again for a few days tomorrow.'