Chapter 5

"Alright Hawk Kid, I have another surprise for you." Hawkgirl said as she walked to our old radio. She turned it on and it cackled to life. However instead of the usual old music a woman's voice came on and said, "We have a robbery on 32nd street. Suspects are reported armed and dangerous, pursue with caution." I turned to Hawkgirl.

"Can we?" I asked.

She shook her head, "No, we still have a lot of training to do.

I picked up my battle axe and smiled crookedly. "Then let's get started."

She smiled and unhooked her mace in a matter of seconds from her belt. "Hit me with your best shot!" I sang. "Fire away!" I fell back and flew, Hawkgirl close behind. We chased each other until she had me cornered and she swung her mace, missing my skull by a matter of inches. "Reaction!" I called. I winked, then dropped down and caught myself a few feet from the concrete floor. My toes were pointing down and my arms were crossed, my axe held across my chest. "Recovery." I teased. I flew back up to her. "And retaliation!" I cried as I swung my axe. It missed, and embedded itself in the wall.

"Nice job." Hawkgirl said. "Now come and get it." She gave me a wicked grin and caught her mace handle in both hands, slapping it against her palm. I smiled and began 'evasive maneuvers' as she tried to bring me down. I tucked my wings close to my sides and went into a dive, spiraling towards the ground. At the last second I straightened out and glided along, tweaking Jet's ear as I flew past. I saw Hawkgirl behind me and did a loop to turn around, flying over Hawkgirl I gave her a shove, then flew for dear life.

The wind from her wings gave me lift and I soared to where my axe hung. With a grunt i tore it from the wall and whipped around to block a hit from Hawkgirl, the shock of it sending my arms trembling. We both hovered about thirty feet from the cold and unforgiving ground. With a sharp clang of metal we met again, and again, and again.

"Hit me." I said. It was later that night and I as sitting at the old table with my head cradled in my hand and a deck of cards in my hand. "Hit me." I repeated, and Hawkgirl slid a card across the table. I grabbed it and flipped it upside down, then with an expressionless face I dumped my cards on the table. "Royal flush." I stated. Hawkgirl groaned and pushed ten dollars towards me from the middle of the table. I snatched it and added it to my ever growing pile.

"Give up yet?" I taunted. "I'm pretty sure you're in debt."

"Fat chance." She snorted.

"As fat a chance as you have of winning?" I asked innocently. She glared at me and stood up, grabbing her mace. "You take that back!" She hissed, pretending to be mad.

"In your dreams."

"I'll hit you so hard you'll wish it was a dream." She retorted. I had nothing to say back, so I grabbed my axe and took to the air. "Come at me bro!" I said in a deep voice. She spread her wings and came up beside me. "Happy to oblige." She grabbed my wings and threw me at the wall. I turned myself using my wings and arms so my feet hit first and I launched myself at her, wrapping my arms around her in a 'hug.' Really it was a wing lock, used to disable the opponents flying abilities. As we plummeted to the ground I met her eyes and smiled sweetly. "Sweet dreams." I said, then spread my wings and hovered above her as she hit the mat below.

She rolled over and reached for her mace as she stood up, however she came up empty. She looked at me and I swung her mace in an arc from the leather strap on the handle. "Miss something?" I teased.

"You clever kid." She said, then she flew up beside me and wrapped her wings around me. I stiffened up, until I realized she wasn't fighting anymore. Suddenly I felt something hit me jaw and saw her fist before I tumbled backwards. She caught her mace as it slipped from my grasp and swung it around, just as I did. "Never let your guard down, ever."

We trained until my wings hurt, then we hit the showers. I practically fell into bed, Jet beside me, that night. I was utterly exhausted, but I was enjoying myself. A few hours later I heard Hawkgirl sigh and Jet echo her. I rolled over and hugged Jet close, burying my face in his dark fur. "Sweet dreams Hawkgirl." I said, and this time I meant it.

A/N: I know this is terrible, but this is just a filler chapter. The next chapter is much more important. Anyway, have a great day!