Chapter 15

I brought Rocket home and put her on the rug, watching as she waddled around and checked everything out. She found one of Jet's old bones and looked at it, quite intrigued. She didn't bark once at it, she simply circled it and continually made the circle smaller until she was next to it. She reached out and sniffed it gently, then she grabbed it and tried to drag it across the floor. When she couldn't move it she sat down and examined it, turning her head side to side to look at it from every angle. Then she got up and sniffed around. For the first time since I lost Jet I smiled, enjoying her somber investigation. That smile quickly vanished, however, when she squatted in the corner.

A roll of paper towels later Rocket was asleep on the rug, kicking and twitching with her dream. She really was cute, she had a pepper grey coat with deep amber eyes and ears that were too big for her head. Coupled with her short little legs and round puppy body she was enough to give even Batman a cuteness overload. While she slept I made her a nest of towels by my bed and tucked one of Jet's soft toys in it. 

I filled a pot with water and put it on the stove, then unearthed a box of pasta. By the time the pot boiled and dinner was in it Hawkgirl came flying through the window. "Well" She said. "You look better. How do your wings feel?"

"Broken." I answered. "I still can't move 'em but they stopped throbbing."

"Well that's good." She said as she set the table. "You stopped sulking too."

"Yeah, I found something to cheer me up."

"Oh really? What?"

I pointed at the rug and Rocket's tiny sleeping form, her round sides moving up and down in rhythm. "Her. I'm calling her Rocket."

I decided not to mention Thanagar or Misty or the high possibility that she was Jet's pup.

"A puppy? Abi you should have spoken to me first..."

"I know, but she needed a home. And look in her eyes, don't they look like Jet's? I just had to take her!"

Hawkgirl picked her up, causing Rocket to wake up and lick her nose, bringing on a sneeze. "She's cute, I'll give her that."

"Just look in her eyes."

Hawkgirl met the pup's amber eyes and raised an eyebrow behind her mask. "The do look a lot like Jet's..."

"Can she stay?"

"We'll see."

"Yes!" I pumped my fist in the air, then dumped the pasta into bowls. I put them on the table and Rocket waddled over after Hawkgirl, settling down silently under the table. She was very quiet, Jet was always whining or barking or snoring, so far Rocket hadn't made a sound. I moved my broken wings aside so I could sit down and plopped in my chair with a sigh, taking up my fork and stabbing pasta.

"Good to see you eating again." Hawkgirl commented, sprinkling cheese on her own pasta.

"Hey Hawkgirl?"

"Yes?"

"Do you think there are other Thanagarians?"

"There's a possibility." She admitted. "But it's very slim."

I nodded, looking at my pasta. I slipped a piece to Rocket who took it gently. I stroked her tiny head, then put my elbow on the table and rested my head in my hand.

The next morning I woke up to Rocket's claws on the tile. I was so unused to the sound after being dog-less for so long. I would have to go to the store to buy some puppy food for her. I ruffled her ears and saw the lump of blankets that showed Hawkgirl was still here. I quickly scribbled a note saying I would be at the store, then kissed Rocket, pulled on my mask, and stepped out the door. I walked for only about twenty minutes, finding the store easily after shopping for Jet so many years.

It opened with a jingle and the store owner looked up, surprised by the wings spreading from my back. I smiled awkwardly and the owner smiled back, trying hard not to stare. I wandered from aisle to aisle, buying a bag of food, several puppy toys, and treats. I brought my purchases to the counter and paid, using the last of my money, then left the store. I had trouble holding all the stuff so flying would be awkward and possibly dangerous. I began to walk back to the warehouse when I noticed a boy following me.

I turned around to see him laugh, then keep following me. I didn't really care, if he refused to lay off I could just threaten him, I had my axe which as made of Nth metal, a metal that gave the wearer noticeably more strength and stamina.

More of them just kept coming, one of them shoved me hard to the ground and I fell, dropping the bags. They were on me like hyenas, cackling and pulling my wings. I beat off one or two and sent them running with bloody noses and black eyes. Then this tall, skinny kid showed up and started ordering everybody around. Soon enough they had me pinned to the brick wall of the building behind me.

Four boys held down my wings and two held down my arms while their leader came up to me. "Pretty one, let's see what's behind that mask." He said, his voice smooth. He reached for my mask and I kicked him in the kneecap, watching as he stumbled back with a cry. "Fighter eh? We'll fix that. Ben, Charlie, here." Two more boys came and held down my legs. "Not so tough now are you?"

"Let me go and we can find out." I hissed.

"Why, so you can fly away like a little bird?"

"No, so I can rip off your head and play soccer with it." He laughed, it was a high, grating laugh that sounded like metal on metal. "We'll see about that." He leaned towards me, a wicked smile on his face. "Break her wings." His cronies started bending them, listening for the snap of the light bones that framed them. "Wings!" I heard someone yell. I turned my head and picked out Misty's dirty blond hair. "Wings? How fitting. But not for much longer."

Without hesitation Misty grabbed her knife and pepper spray and ran into the gang, slashing and spraying left and right. Boys were running or falling to the ground every moment and I kicked one off my leg when he rolled over my foot, unconscious. I grabbed my axe and swung the handle, hearing a satisfying crack! as several boys fell. The leader took one look at the situation, and ran, disappearing in an alley. I followed suit, eager to injure the boy who'd tried to break my barely healing wings.

I followed him, his fleeing form remaining in my sights at all times. Finally I cornered him, and I raised my axe. "Stop!" He yelled. "Stop! Don't kill me!"

"Give me one good reason."

"My devilishly good looks?"

I punched him so hard in the jaw I heard a solid crack and he fell to the ground in tears. I walked off, my tattered wings dragging behind me. I found Misty wiping the blood off her knife on a kid's shirt. "Thanks for saving me." I said quietly.

She looked up quickly, then realizing it was only me she relaxed, tucking her knife back in her pocket and shaking the can of pepper spray, it was empty. "You owe me a can of pepper spray, Wings." She said. "And no problem, what was I supposed to do, let New York's first hero get beat up by a bunch of empty headed ass holes? Fat chance. How are you doing? How's Rocket?"

"My wings are still broken." I replied. "So I'm basically grounded, and Rocket's great. I just bought her this stuff." I indicated the scattered dog toys and food on the sidewalk and started packing them in the bags. "How's Thanagar?"

"He's great, only a few incidents, but learning fast. He's very energetic and loud."

"Wow, Rocket's so quiet you forget she's even there. She's smart to though, good blood lines."

"What if we meet at the Richard Rodgers with the puppies, they could play and Angel could see her daughter again."

"Sounds great, I'll have to walk though."

"Just don't get attacked again." She added. "I don't have any more pepper spray."