Chapter 19

We met up with an unconscious Garth and blue clothed girl. Echo took Garth and soared off, leaving me with the girl. I was tempted to fly beside Garth and mentally harass Echo but I didn't want to lose him, and I couldn't use wet wings. And I doubted I could fly with broken ribs. My first day with the kid and what happens? He gets stabbed. "I guess we're walking because Echo hasn't taught me to fly yet."

"Great." I said, sarcasm dripping from my pained words.

"Hey, we're inviting you over to our house and offering you food, I don't understand what the depressed mood is about."

"My first day taking care of the damn kid and what happens? He gets knifed. Now I'm being invited to a stranger's house to eat food while he heals. Hawkgirl will have my head on the wall. On. The. Wall." I answered, my voice strained.

"Well I can fix the ribs, and Echo will heal the stab wound. He'll be good as new."

As we walked I clutched my side, gritting my teeth through the burning pain. Whispers reached my ears from the surrounding crowds. "Is that Hawk Kid?" or "Did you see that girl? She made water!" or "Who was that little boy? He had wings too!"

News reporters were even on the scene. One walked up to me and shoved a microphone in my face. "Who was that boy who got stabbed?  Where is the... fox... taking him?"

Let's go. She said to me telepathically.

What," I asked quietly. "Are you a silver fox too?"

No, if I was your God forbidden axe would make me look like one.

I decided to talk to her in my head, it was less painful than actually speaking. It is not a God forbidden axe, it has saved my life several times and besides, you don't leave home without it.

"No comment." I replied hoarsely, my arms wrapped around my rib cage. The girl ushered me away from the cameras and we walked in silence the rest of the way, my sides burning. When we got there I could barely breathe, just look up at the house in awe. "Here we are!" She chirped.

The place was huge! She pushed open the doors and I was met with smooth black walls glittering with some sort of precious gems. We walked through a hallway that was a cool blue, the floor a calm white. We entered the kitchen and found Echo sipping tea from a cup. "Echo..." The girl began.

"Where's Garth?" I interrupted her, regretting the decision when pain lanced up my side.

"Asleep. The bleeding stopped and he's knitting himself back together. Now, your ribs..."

"They're fine, a little pain never killed anyone."

She raised an eyebrow and sipped her tea. "No. More. Tea, Echo!" the girl beside me yelled. Echo smiled wickedly and pointed at a boiling kettle on the stove.

"Would you like something to drink, Abi?" Echo asked politely.

"I'd prefer if you called me Hawk Kid and how long until I can take Garth home?"

"We have water, tea, soda, tea, milk, tea, juice, tea, coffee," She visibly shuddered. "and tea." she finished happily.

"I guess I'll have water." I replied.

"Are you sure you don't want tea?" Echo asked as if dangling a carrot in front of a rabbit.

"No thanks, I don't like..." I trailed off when I saw the look Echo was giving me.

"I'll take care of her." Offered the girl. "And heal her ribs."

"I said they're fine, a little-"

"Come on," She said quietly so only I could hear. "Or she'll kill you." Sure enough, Echo was still glaring at me from over the rim of her tea.

I slowly backed away, then turned and followed the girl. She showed me to a room and gave me dry clothes. "I appreciate the effort and all but... I'll wear the armor." I paused for a moment. "And the mask." My wings were drier and I spread them out, then ruffled the feathers, sending droplets of water flying. She looked at my hip. "And the axe." I replied, crossing my arms.

"At least let me heal you." She begged.

"Fine." I answered.

"Put the axe somewhere else." She said. I dropped the axe on the bed and the the girl formed a ball of water around my ribs. I could feel them mending themselves back together and let me tell you, it was a feeling I could live without. "There." She finished, drawing the water back. "Good as new."

I grabbed my axe off the bed and put it back in its holder on my belt.

Echo brewed tea on the stove and the girl rested her chin on her hand at the kitchen island. I sat there crossing my arms, my axe hanging at my hip. "You need to move that axe to the other end of the house if you want Garth to heal completely."

"I'm not putting my axe on another end of a mansion." I replied, my arms still crossed stubbornly. Echo sighed and held a magic thing to the back of my head. "You and Garth Rodgers will make a full recovery if you move the hammer. If not, then I'm going to blast your head off your neck into a different galaxy, do I make myself clear?" Echo threatened. I still didn't move.

"You'll have to pry this axe out of my cold, dead hands." I spat. "And I'm an alien, I'm from a different galaxy."

The girl swiftly grabbed the axe from my belt, but almost dropped it, the thing was probably too heavy for her. I swung a powerful punch at her head but she jumped back and aimed a torrent of water at me. Echo took the axe out of her hands and flew swiftly down the hall. I threw a balled fist at her and felt it hit home, the solid bones halting my knuckle's flight. I watched as she fell to the ground and I went off to follow the fox when the girl suddenly shot up to the ceiling.

She hesitated and I spread my wings, rising up to meet her. Suddenly she pointed a hand at me, said, "I'm sorry," then screamed, "Waterstorm!"

I dove to the ground but before I could land the girl had my arm and started to run. "What are you doing?!" I yelled.

"Trust me, that thing can kill you!" she yelled over the sound of roaring water behind us. She shoved me against a wall and seemed to study the water behind us.

After reaching a conclusion the girl turned back to me. "Abi, we have to do something, but I need you to trust me." she said looking behind her at me.

"What in the name of Thanagar... Of course I don't trust you! You sent that at me and took my axe. Hell, I don't even know your name!" I yelled.

"My name is Tia Isling, I was forced into a fight to the death for the rest of my life against three other life forms that I do not know of. I will never see my past friends or family ever again, and will leave the Earth forever when the time comes and will fight in a Battle Royale, if I win this Battle Royale then I will be crowned and Empress of Empronom. So, on my future life if I have one, please trust me." She pleaded to me, now facing the Water Storm that was coming closer.

A/N: Yet another collab with the amazing @kittipitti , make sure you check her out and her awesome story, Battle Royale!