Chapter 16

I made my way home and put ice on my bruises while Rocket warmed my feet. Hawkgirl took one look at my bruises and ragged wings and shook her head. "Abi, you are an injury magnet." Then she gave me more ice and handed me my axe. "The Nth metal helps you heal faster."

"Thanks." I said, tucking the double headed axe into my belt. I pulled Rocket onto my lap, stroking her pepper grey fur. She still hadn't made a sound, just watching every silently seemed to be her way of learning. She was a slow eater, eating little bits over the duration the day. She  was a funny girl. Her ears were still flopped over which looked comical when she tilted her head a new object.

 A few days later my wings were in order again. I still carried bruises from my street fight but I didn't mind. I was just ecstatic to be flying again and took to the air to patrol the city. I donned my armor and mask, grabbed my axe in one hand (never leave home without it) and took off. The wind felt great combing through my red hair and I spiraled through the air from pure elation.

I heard a scream and banked sharply towards the sound, pressing my arms against my sides so I could gain greater speeds. My eyes leaked tears even behind my mask and my hair was forced straight back as the wind blasted me in the face. I saw a shady looking man trying to take a girl's purse. I swung my arms forward, holding one balled fist forward. The man had just enough time to grab her purse before I rammed into him. He fell back with a grunt and the girl's purse went spinning out of his hands. I landed on top of him but quickly scrambled up and away from him and into attack position. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the girl grab the purse, but she remained on the scene. I didn't mind, the guy was unconscious and had been since I hit him.

I stood up, I didn't even use my axe. Slightly disappointing but nevertheless, I adjusted it in my belt so it hung straight and turned to the girl. "You okay?"

"Fine," She answered. "Thanks for saving me."

"That's what I do." I said as I turned to fly off.

"Wait!" She called. "Are you some kind of hero or something? What can I call you?"

"No," I replied sarcastically. "I just go beating people up for fun." I laughed a little, I probably would do that, then answered, "Call me Hawk Kid."

I grabbed the man beneath his arms and took to the air, headed toward the nearest police station. I landed on the sidewalk outside, walked in and took a marker from the front desk, scrawled 'Attempted Mugger' on his forehead, then dumped him on the bench. I nodded at the bewildered lady behind the desk and tipped my mask, then walked out the door and flew away.

As I soared above the city and breathed in the cool air I thought about Misty, Angel, and Thanagar. I hadn't been able to go see them because Hawkgirl had made me stay in and clean. She was such a mom sometimes. I watched the sun starting to vanish beyond the horizon and thought about the coming winter, it was fall already. September, the start of school. I grinned, happy that Thanagarians were exempt from that law.

I heard a car alarm and saw a woman breaking a car window and reaching in. I threw my axe with deadly accuracy and watched with satisfaction as it hit its mark, the butt colliding with her forehead. I landed and ran a few steps to keep my balance, then grabbed my axe off the pavement. I nodded at the stunned onlookers, grabbed the lady's hands, and began to fly. I dropped her off at the police station, watching as a man came out and handcuffed her. He looked questioningly at me and I jerked my thumb over my shoulder. "Attempted thief." He nodded slowly, in awe at my wings, axe, and mask. I flew off, a good day so far.

As night fell I returned back to the warehouse to find Hawkgirl laying on the couch with a sleeping Rocket perched on her chest. She was reading the newspaper, her mask on the table. I had never, ever, seen her without her mask. And I was right, she did look just like me. Or rather, I looked like her. She noticed me and smiled over the rim of the paper, taking a sip from a mug of coffee on the end table beside her. Rocket's pepper grey sides rose in a gentle rhythm as she slept, her breaths heavy and peaceful.

I quietly gathered up all her toys and put them back in the basket, changed her water, and refilled her food dish. Rocket moved up and down with Hawkgirl's breathing as if she was on a boat and I had to laugh a little. I took off my mask and put it on the table, hung my axe on the wall, and grabbed a pudding from the fridge. "So what did you do today?" She asked me, causing Rocket to stir.

"Not much." I replied through a mouthful of pudding. "Just knocked some guy out and stopped a car thief. The usual."

Hawkgirl nodded. "I see." Rocket stood up, stretched, yawned, and moved down to settle on Hawkgirl's stomach with a sigh.

"Made a new friend?" I asked.

"Apparently." She answered. I grabbed a pair of pajama pants and a tank top from my wardrobe and went to the bathroom to take off my armor. I took a quick shower, washing the dirt off my face and scrubbing beneath my nails. When I stepped out and wrapped myself in the towel I realized how mature I looked, I was tall, slim, muscular, and my red hair reached a few inches past my shoulders. Quite different from the pudgy twelve year old. Not to mention the five foot long wings that sprouted from my shoulders and curved down my back all the way to my ankles.

I pulled on my pajamas and left the bathroom, sitting with a thud on my bed and falling back with a sigh. "Yes?" I heard Hawkgirl say, taking into her com. "I'll be right there." She lifted Rocket off her stomach and put her on the rug, the small shepherd went straight for her food bowl and ate a few bites, then flopped down under the table. "Where are you going?"

"Alaska. I'll be gone for at least a day."

"No problem, I can take care of myself."

"Good. See ya soon!" She called as she spread her wings and soared out the open window and into the night. I put a bag of popcorn in the microwave, then sat down on the couch to read the newspaper. The first article read, "New York City's Own Hero, The Mysterious Winged Avenger." It was accompanied by a picture of me flying, my axe in hand, over the city.

"Look Rocket!" I said. "I made the front page!"

A/N: The girl getting mugged was Tia from KittiPitti's story, Battle Royal of the Empresses, go check it out, love it!