Chapter 27

Brian came and sat down next to me, looking out over the city.

"I know this sounds weird.." He began. My heart raced, oh God. "But when I'm up here I feel like I could fly. Of course, you have that all the time, but it's so magnificent." He sighed.

"I could fly you." I said quietly. His whole face lit up.

"Really?!"

"Yeah!" I laughed. "Let's go!"

I picked him up, putting my hands beneath his arms, and took off, gaining altitude with ease. He yelled with exuberance, and I couldn't help but join him.

"This is amazing!" He cried, breathless with giddiness.

"I know!" I replied, banking for the Statue of Liberty. When I landed on her crown Brian ran to the edge and looked over.

"Wow!" He cried. "This view is the best!"

I laughed, and felt a warm feeling in my chest as my heart fluttered. He turned back towards me.

"I don't know who you are..."

Oh God, I thought, please no.

"Heck, I don't even know what you are..."

No, no, no, no!

"But you are now my very best friend!"

I gave an inward sigh of relief, but I felt something else, disappointment? Why? Why should I be disappointed at him, I barely even knew him. But, then again, the citizens of New York barely knew me and yet, they trusted me with their lives every day. I fingered the axe in my belt, it always helped me think, and Brian turned back around. I could still see the childish excitement, the giddiness upon his dimpled face.

I inhaled sharply, could it be? No! I refused to acknowledge it, there was no way I was falling for him! But my mother always said, God works in mysterious ways. I snorted, I didn't believe in God, why didn't he keep my father from leaving, why did he make my Mom work so hard? Why did he let bad people be bad? If he had the power to snuff out our lives with the blink of an eye, why did he let those awful people live on and kill other, innocent people? Why did he make me become Hawk Kid and risk my butt every day when he could just take care of things and not even break a sweat?

Okay, this was making my head hurt. "Do you need a ride home?" I asked.

"No, I'll just climb down this hundred foot tall lady in to New York Harbor. Thanks for the offer though!" He joked.

"Alright then, I'll be off." I replied, spreading my wings. For a moment worry flashed across his eyes.

"Wait!"

I know, I know." I said. "I was just kidding."

"Alright, good, I'm too young to die falling off a giant lady."

I laughed. "I would hope so!"

He grinned crookedly. "Just take me back to the building you found me on. You know, I'm one of those 'if found please return to previous location' kinda people."

He was crazy.

"Alright, let's go then." I said, picking him up with ease. My huge wings beat at the air around us and we lifted off, him giving off an energetic aura. I smile down at his beaming, dimpled face.

I dropped him off at the building. "Same time tomorrow?" He asked.

"I'll try." I replied. "Criminals don't run on schedules."

"Okay, well, bye. And thanks for the fly, it was amazing!"

"Anytime." I replied, watching as he leaped from the rooftop of this building to the one on the next. He was the boy who flew without wings.

I turned away and flew home. I landed silently in the window. Garth was sprawled out on his bed, Rocket was resting her head beside him, and Hawkgirl was gone. Good.

I flew down silently and landed gently, not wanting to awaken Garth. I opened the fridge, then the freezer, and pulled out a tub of ice cream. I grabbed a spoon from the jar and began to eat from the gallon container, giving a small scoop to Rocket when she came over.

I dumped it on the floor and she sat down, staring at me and waiting for my command. "Go." I said, and she gracefully sat up and licked it up slowly. She was so smart and so obedient. "Good girl." I praised. She finished her ice cream, then returned to the side of Garth's bed, and to my surprise his hand rose up and caressed her face. So he wasn't sleeping after all.

"Hey Garth," I called. "Want some worms?"

He rolled over. "Jealous, are you?"

"What? No way! Shut up, Garth."

"It's in the constitution, right of free speech."

"You know what else is in the constitution?" I asked.

"What?"

"The right to bear arms." I shot back, pointing at the ax in my belt. He shut up after that.