Anxiety

Phil P.O.V.
   We took the puppy we found to the vet and we got him the treatment he needed. He got a small cast on his injured leg. We were going to give him to a shelter but we realized the dog might help Macy cope with transitioning to having a family again.
   "I think I'll name him Jock!" Macy said from the backseat of the car.
   "After Lady and the Tramp?" I asked and chuckled. She nodded and let the small dog. Dan pulled up to the pet store.
   "I'll go get the supplies for Jock." I said before getting out of the car, and leaving Dan and Macy there.
Dan P.O.V.
   Macy and I sat in awkward silence. I don't think she connected to me as much as Phil. I really wanted her to like me. I also was still thinking about who Robert was. What did he do to Macy? I wanted to ask her so badly. My anxiety was eating me alive. My imagination was thinking the worst possible things of who Robert was. I couldn't take it anymore.
   "Macy? About before when you mentioned that boy named Robert. Who is he? Did he do something to you?" I asked. She stopped petting Jock and stared at me. She looked confused, sad, maybe even a bit angry.
   "He was a friend of mine in the orphanage. He was very upset when we realized I was getting adopted by you two. I was so happy about it and he was not. He didn't want me to leave. He didn't want us to be kept apart. Robert disowned me as a friend." Macy finished. I wiped away a tear traveling down my face. Phil and I caused her sadness and happiness. Had we done something good or bad?
   "I'm sorry Macy. We didn't mean to ruin your friendship. We didn't know." I said dropping my head down. She climbed into the front seat and hugged me.
   "You don't have to be sorry!  You guys adopted me! I'm so happy you're my dad." Macy said. She just called me dad and she said she appreciates me. I started happy-crying and so did Macy. Jock cocked his head questionably. Just then, Phil opened the front door. He stared at us wide-eyed.
   "What happened while I was gone?" He asked surprised. We wiped our eyes and laughed.
   "Nothing much, Phil." I laughed. Macy got back into the back seat in the car and we drove off. While Phil and Macy were humming along to the radio I was deep in thought. I thought I wasn't good enough to be a father. I thought Macy wouldn't like me but she does! I can do this. I'll have many mistakes and so will Phil, but we can do this.