breaking walls

Coauthor: infinity_in_his_eyes

//Kara POV//

I'm thoroughly convinced that my brain wants me dead.

Because I caught myself staring at the girl again. Yes, I know I told myself that it was my mission to get to know her, but I didn't intend to put my plan into play by turning all stalker on her.

But before I give myself too much credit, I technically didn't catch myself staring. She caught me staring.

"What the hell is your deal? Why do you keep watching me?" Her voice was seething, her eyes blazing. It was more than enough to snap me out of my stupor. She was in front of me now, closer than what we had been last time (is this a small win for me?)

"Who says I was watching you? There's like 27 other kids in here." Of course I wasn't stupid, I knew I was caught, so why the hell I tried to play it off like I wasn't totally giving this girl a complete staredown, I don't know. But I stood my ground. I was (foolishly) defiant.

"Don't play dumb with me, you little shit." She practically hissed the words through her teeth. Why is she so. Damn. Mad? Even though her words were scathing, and even though I wanted to shrink under her gaze, my eyebrow decided to raise itself in a display of surprise at her words (a bold move in this situation, eyebrow.)

"You're kind of a spitfire, aren't you?" I wanted to zip my lips as soon as the words came out of my mouth. I really didn't mean to sound so... almost flirtatious? Or was it something else? I didn't have time to ponder on it, because I became too absorbed on the girl's changed atmosphere. Her mouth set into a hard line. The anger disappeared, replaced by something else... bitterness.

"Oh, yeah, how very typical of a Luthor, isn't it. Is that it?" Her eyes lost any trace of anger, any trace of contempt. Instead, they grew empty. Cold. Dead. I couldn't decide which version of her eyes made me more afraid.

Afraid. I wasn't really afraid. So why did I freeze for a fraction of a second when the girl let it slip; when she told me who she was. Why did I let the fear take hold of me (I know this girl isn't her brother, I know.) And then I was sad. Sad that for just a moment, I let my fear take the reigns of my judgement, of my emotions.

"Y-you're Lena Luthor... , I-I didn't mean it that way." Lena didn't look convinced. As a matter of fact, in just that moment, Lena didn't look like anything. Not in the same way as I had seen her before, where she was emotionless. In this way, she looked... defeated, lost.

And as quickly as defeatedness shrouded Lena, it was gone.

"Oh, sure. 'You didn't mean it that way.' Everyone says that. I'm a scary Luthor, better run! While you're at it, why don't you just lock me up in a prison?" Her voice dripped with sarcasm. Her eyes were daring me to take the bait. To be afraid.

But I wasn't afraid. I was pissed. Pissed that Lena was using her namesake against me, that she turned this whole conversation around and made me sound like the villain (and not in the sense that Lena was a monster because of what her brother had done.) She was the one who was making this so difficult. Why wouldn't she just let me...

"I told you, I didn't mean it like that. And you're already kinda doing that to yourself, don't you think? I think if anyone's running from anyone, it's you running from yourself." Yeah, I had let my anger get the better of me this time. But I was sure that she needed to hear it from someone. She needed to hear that she was doing this to herself. Not anyone else in this home. Not her brother. Not me.

And then she did it again. She turned this whole conversation around. She smirked, (and did I catch an eye roll there?), like she knew she was about to unload the words that would defeat me.