blood will tell

hey y'all. it's ya kids baby_danvers and infinity_in_his_eyes formally apologizing for being sucky at updating. hope you guys enjoy this chapter though ;)

//Kara POV//

As if I need anymore reason to believe that there is no one up there watching over me, she turns around. The vacuum is whirring, but she is frozen in place, eyes fixated on me.

I'm not surprised when I feel the tear fall down my cheek.

Lena Luthor has the vexing tendency to make me feel some way, one way or another.

I try to get the first word in, in order to appear stronger, perhaps more assertive. But as the distance between us closes, and as I am all too aware of my wet eyes, the only thing I manage to stammer out is; "I-I-" Way to assert yourself, Kara. You truly have a way with words! Lena cuts me off before I'm able to humiliate myself further.

"What do you want?" I almost feel bad. She sounds tired... defeated. Her voice holds none of the confidence and cunning that it did the very first time I ever spoke to her.

"I wasn't exactly planning on this." I smile sadly, aware that yet another tear was rolling down my cheek, at the memory of the first time I had said this exact same line to her. I sloppily wipe the tear with my entire hand, the same hand that quickly shoots up to adjust my glasses, even though they didn't need adjusting. The only times I've ever gotten back into this habit for the first time in years are exactly all the times I have had these confrontations with Lena. Coincidence, right?

"Really? That same card, huh?" I almost want to smile at the fact that she remembers that conversation. It almost makes me feel like she cared enough to remember, and I would feel excited, if it weren't for the fact that she says it so exasperatingly. Like I am just a mere child, wanting to play their games with the grown ups.

And it's there, where all the passion hits me at once. Where all my less-than-happy feelings rush to my head. Where all I can think about is how I hate it when Lena makes me feel this way, when she leads me on the way she does; gives me glimpses of the side of her that she doesn't let a single person in the world see anymore. When she gives me hope , the kind of hope you get when you open the damn Pandora's jar, and then just slams the lid shut, all while looking me in the eyes, because she knows exactly what she's doing. She makes me feel so insignificant, so unworthy of her feelings, so undeserving of her.

I have to keep myself from screaming; "I think we both know things aren't the same this time." My teeth ache from speaking through them while gritted.

"And who decided that?" Lena counters. I know she's toying with me, she has to be, otherwise, she's just outright oblivious.

I nearly leave my response at my eye roll. "You, Lena. You made this decision-" She cut me off. Again. I'm not one to get violent, but if I have to stop myself one more time for her...

"Oh really. How's that?" She spoke so incredulously, like she truly had no idea about the role she played in this (not really) relationship.

" The moment," I realize that I am too many decibels too loud, and lower my voice, resorting to giving her an incriminating glare instead, "you locked eyes with me the first time-"

"No. No, you 'locked eyes' with me !" While there may have been truth in her statement, I clench my fists, in order to stop myself from screaming, punching the wall, punching her, or all three. I can't believe...

I am the one who's voice is laden with exasperation now. " Do not . Do not act like you weren't a part of this. Do not try to dismiss yourself from the situation, and stop trying to dismiss me!" I jab an accusing finger at her chest, and she looks down in disbelief, her action as loud as if she had straight up said 'how dare you touch me, a Luthor!' But she doesn't say anything. Lena lifts her head, chin jutting out, and crosses her arms pointedly. She's clearly trying to say that she has nothing to say.